Chapter 21: Confess

Emily crouched under a stove, searching for some vanilla cupcakes, but she found old straw baskets instead

The elves were hurrying about and had offered her another tray of pastries, but she felt too full to eat another slice of cake.

Now where did they stored it? She moved through the kitchen, and spotted a table near the fireplace. Emily smiled at the beautifully decorated cupcakes. She picked one up and scurried back to her dormitory, where Rebecca was just lying down on her bed, asleep.

Tiptoeing silently not to wake her friend, Emily made her way to her windowsill and pushed the pane open.

She sang the song quietly as she could, and three camelia flowers grew out from the brick magically. Emily plucked one and quickly wrote a card with a quill that had been dented on top.

Emily hurried down and found Tom, thankfully, all alone by himself, scanning through an old book.

"Hello," she sat down next to him. Emily had planned to give the gifts personally without getting rejected like last year.

"Happy valentine," she pushed all of it to him, and he raised his eyebrows, finally looking up from the book.

Tom took them and placed it by his side, then went back to read his book. The cover was old and tattered, and the pages had been eaten by worms. It should've been old, and it was most likely to he kept at the restriction side of the huge library.

Emily looked at his features while he read. He was very handsome, and she felt that his dark looks made his pale complexion stand out.

"Tom."

"What is it?" he looked up again, a bit disturbed that she interrupted his thoughts.

"I love you," she confessed, beaming at him. Emily had planned to say this too. She hoped that he would return the love, because for a long time Emily never felt that being best friends wasn't enough for her. She wanted more.

He seemed surprised, but the look vanished and was replaced by a cunning smile. "Emily. You know that that I can't love anyone, and you of all people should be clear about it."

"But what if - I can't help it?" she said in disappointment, the excitement in her had washed off.

"You'll regret loving me," Tom said coldly.

"I won't! I haven't regreted it yet, despite all the bad stuff you do.."

"Foolish."

"You still won't give me a chance?" Emily asked one more time, filling all her hope into the question. She wanted him to say yes so badly.

"No," he bluntly replied, then fixated his gaze back to the book.

She sighed and played with the leaves on the ground when Brianna showed up, holding old books into her hand.

"I've done researching what you've asked me. There is all the notes in it," she smirked and gave it to him.

He finally closed the book and looked satisfied with her job. "Very well done, Anna. You're a very reliable follower, aren't you?"

"Obviously. I don't simply waste my time for useless people," she tossed her black hair back.

Anna. Is that what he called her now? Why didn't she had a nickname? Emily thought to herself. She had almost asked that aloud but her focus went to that parchment.

"What are you planning?" she asked, folding her handkerchief. It was the exact one that Connor had gave her to dry her tears.

Tom laughed to himself, "I've been planning lots of things. Soon, I'm going to make the wizarding world obey me.."

"You mean, you want to be the minister of magic?" she asked eagerly.

Brianna chuckled, "Minister of magic? That's boring of you. Tom wanted to be much more than that.. Much more, Vance."

"In direct to say, I'll make people fear me, for I am all powerful. No one shall speak my name without fearing it," he said, amused.

"Isn't that bad?"

"The world is bad. Don't expect it to be full of sunshine and happiness, Emily. Those who wanted to have a happy life are too blind to see the cruelty of it," Tom laughed coldly and eyed her, "But you can join me. If you stay loyal. If not, then you shall perish in my hands."

She flinched a little at his words. She pressed the handkerchief in her palm because they were sweating so much. Emily was afraid of him.

The clock chimed softly in the background, and she almost forgot that she needed to go to the quidditch pitch to watch the hufflepuffs practice.

"Where did you get that?" Tom took a bit of an interest in the silk cloth she was holding.

"Oh this?" Emily smiled at it, "It's from Connor. He gave it to me on valentines day last year when I was - never mind. Do you mind keeping it for me? I think I'll be dirtying it later."

Tom stared hatefully at the cloth. "Of course."

She watched his expression carefully, "Are you sure, Tom?"

"Not at all.."

Emily smiled, "Alright then!" she let the handkerchief dropped onto his hand, "Thank you. See you later, Tom."

Brianna laughed quietly as she disappeared out of sight,"I think it'll be quite a trouble for her to join us?"

He didn't felt the need to reply. He tossed the handkerchief on the ground, setting it on fire. Tom watched the flames crackled, the bright fire reflecting in his eyes.