Chapter 43: A Chat With Mom

"I got my exams results, mom!" Emily screamed and ran into the small kitchen

"I got my exams results, mom!" Emily screamed and ran into the small kitchen. Her mother had her spectacles on, examining some letter that had been delivered by the ministry.

Her mouth was spread into a grin as she heard the news. "And what did you have, dear?"

"All exceeds expectations and above! Except for my Potions... They're acceptable," she smiled sheepishly, stealing a piece of strawberry cake.

Her mother smiled kindly. "That's good to hear. I'm proud of you," Mrs Vance held her daughter tightly in her arms. She had grown to the same height just as her mother, and for the first time, Emily noticed the gray strands in her mother's brown hair and the wrinkles gradually increasing around her forehead and eyes.

She sighed loudly and immediately shut her mouth.

"What's wrong?" Mrs Vance looked at her daughter with concern.

"It's just - it's just - nothing."

"It's obviously not nothing. Come and talk to me, my work can wait," she pulled her daughter to the couch and brought a cup of coffee for her.

"Thank you.." Emily smiled appreciately.

"Now tell me."

"I-I'm dating Connor Marshall.."

"And?" her mother raised an eyebrow, looking at her daughter with a questioning look.

"I love him, but... I-I feel like I loved Tom more.."

"Tom Riddle sure is something to you, hm? Then why don't you just tell Connor? You can't keep it forever," her mother squeezed her hands.

"I want to! But he loves me a lot. If I - if I broke up with him, can you imagine the heartbreak, mother? And at the same time... Tom couldn't love me back.."

"You've got to switch your heart then. You have to stop loving Tom."

"I tried! I tried and I tried! But he can't seem to get off my mind.."

Mrs Vance groaned and sighed. "This is probably the most complicated relationship I have to deal with," she smirked, "But I'll try to help you."

"One more thing.. Tom told me that he couldn't love me.. But! But he made me feel like he actually did. There was a night were we spent on a rooftop, and he gave me this," she held the ruby necklace in her hands, "And he kissed me."

Mrs Vance let out a scream. "Oh my! Merlin!"

Emily looked away, embarrassed that her mother had to know. "He kissed me... Like there was no tomorrow. Like it was our last time together.."she mumbled.

"Maybe he actually did love you, but what's holding him back?"

Emily gazed up at her mother, holding the warm cup in her hands. "Power..."

Her mother scrunched her eyebrows, "Power.. Then I'm afraid, that what you must battle isn't any girls that he liked too... But Power."

She nodded her head in agreement, "Power.. Its consuming him the more he discover it, and he thought there weren't consequences to it... He didn't believe that its a bad thing. You know what he told me? He told me that you must learn to control power, and not he afraid of it. But little did he know.. He's not controlling power, it's controlling him instead, mother!"

She sighed," And you know the only way to help him?"

"He must let go of it.. With love.."

Mrs Vance took the cup from her and stirred the brown contents, "You're very smart. I wonder why you're not in ravenclaw.."

"Love is making me blind.. And yet.. I'm not blinded by it at the same time."

"Try your best, Emily, if he doesn't.. Go for someone else, darling."

"I hope so.. Thanks for talking to me," she leaned forward and embrace her mother.

"Anytime... Anytime.." she smiled back, knowing that she was no longer the little girl that used to cry just because the flowers died.