Chapter 42: Star Gazing

Connor scribbled a few words onto the parchment, then nudged at Jonathan to help him fold it

His friend pressed it to several sides, then handed it back to Connor. He make the paper butterfly fly and it landed on Emily's desk. She glared at him. This was the fourth time he had send something for her.

Slowly, she read the message and grinned :

You're as pretty as a flower,
I wonder how you bloom,
For if I didn't have you,
I shall be doomed.

It was a terrible poetry, but it made her heart fluttered. Dumbledore caught her expression and he smiled.

"Emily dear, what are you so happy about?"

She looked up, unsure of what to say, "I-uh, I think rabbit ears are really cute."

The class roared with laughter. Connor snickered at her remark and continued to come up with another good poetry.

"Oh indeed they are," Dumbledore said with a twinkle of his eye, "It'll be extremely funny to have them replace your ears."

She blushed and bit her lips. Emily sighed and quickly ripped off the next parchment that Connor gave, much to her delight. He looked hurt, but he didn't stopped there.

The class was finally over and Emily put her shoes back on. Her small feet were hurting in them.

"Hey, enjoyed the class?"

She glared at him. "You're distracting me! Even if it's cute and all, I really need to pay attention to classes, Connor."

"Sorry.." he apolagised, but the smile hadn't left his face, "Let's go grab a toast or two."

Emily smiled a bit and took her backpack, walking out of the empty classroom.

"I say, the elves probably prepared butter with it, they're absolutely creamy and-"

"Yes yes, toast are excellent. I'm craving for some treacle pudding, you know. It's the type of sweetness that I like," she rubbed her hands.

Connor swung his backpack and held her hand. Emily gasped a little as she felt the warmness of it.

"Wait..." she cast a suspicious glance at him, "Don't you have.. Detention?"

He looked abruptly away, "No. I don't."

"Yes you do!" she wriggled her hand out of his, looking at him with irritant, "Slughorn gave you detention. Please, you ought to go!"

Connor grinned. "Yes, miss prefect. But let me grab some food, alright?"

She sighed and they both got some treacle tart sprinkled with sugar and honey. He gulped down the cold beverage and let out a sigh of relief.

"Perfect. Now I can go for detention.. do I get a kiss of goodbye?"