Chapter 38: The Perfect Dress

"We're back!" Chloe screamed through the doors, trying to make her echos audible

"Shut up," Julia glared at her and made her way into the circular room, where Emily was sitting on her bed, writing a letter.

"How's the shopping? Did you all find your dresses?" she asked eagerly.

"We made it a little different.. The three of us went separate ways and bought each other's dresses... So hopefully," she cast annoyed glares at the other two,"You picked a great one for me."

"Oh..." Emily tried not to sound so down, for she could've participated the fun with them. She didn't have enough savings to buy any expensive dress for the ball.

"Quick, let's see what Julia got for Rebecca!" Chloe pulled all of them down onto the floor and hid their bags behind.

"Alright.. So I thought that you'll like  this one.." Julia took her bag and pulled an off shoulder, forest green grown with satin at the hem of it.

"It's beautiful!" Rebecca smiled happily, brushing the fabric over and over again in delight. Emily watched her friend held the gown and felt a bit jealous. But of course she hated herself for feeling this way. It wasn't their fault that they had beautiful clothing to wear for the ball.

"Right.. Rebecca.. What'd you got for me?" Chloe scooted near her, catching a glimpse of purple.

She took it out and Chloe gasped so loudly, sucking all the air around them. The gown was big, and had a v line to it. There was also a thin, black belt to the gown.

"This is so expensive, Rebecca! Why did you bought it?" she said it even if she was genuinely happy.

"I mean.. You've tried so many times to lose weight and you succeeded! Why not take the time to show how amazing and beautiful you are?"

Chloe threw her arms around her best friend and squealed.

"Excuse me," Julia glared at her annoying behaviour, looking impatient.

Chloe took her own bag and kneeled, picking on the fabric carefully, and pulled it out. The three of them gasped so loudly. It had shiny, sparkling pearls on the waist line, with light rouge pink satin coming down to the ground.

"Oh Merlin. It's perfect," Julia touched it softly, afraid that it'll ruin the thin fabric with her hands.

Emily left them alone and went back to her bed, her feet coming in contact with the warm sheets. She picked up her quill and parchment, leaving her friends that was marvelling over their fancy gowns.

Dear Mother,

Its good to know that you have got promoted by the ministry of magic. However, I have an issue here - I lack a dress for the ball. Currently, I don't have enough savings here but I do have a box under my bed that would surely be enough for a cheap dress. Please don't buy anything more than that, even if I know that you and Aunt Mary has good taste in fashion.

Love,
Emi

She stuck it to a barn owl and watch it flew away, soaring elegantly through the evening sky. Her cat came onto her lap and purred loudly, scratching her pants. Emily patted it, hoping for the best to come.

*******
"Ten points from slytherin."

The third grader groaned loudly, cursing under his breath and walked away from Emily. She sighed and continued to walk, adjusting her badge and inspecting the rest of the students.

"Hello princess," Connor hugged her from the behind. Emily looked backwards, startled, but she laughed a bit.

"Hey.. What'd you doing? Practice is over?"

He let go and chuckled nervously. "Yeah.. Did you got asked for the ball?"

Emily dropped her smile and turned away from him so he couldn't see the sadness written on her face.

"Tom asked Olivia... And she said yes. I don't have anyone to go with.. But its fine.. Its just a ball, not some examinatiom that I'll miss," Emily shrugged.

Connor's eyes brightened up. "I'll take you. Come with me.. Please," he took both of her hands and clutched it tightly as if his life depended on her answer.

She gaped at him but soon recovered from the shock,"I'm a terrible dancer. But if you don't mind... I would love to."

"Then it's a deal! I can't wait for Saturday," he quickly kissed her on the cheek and ran away, turning left to the narrow corridor. Emily went back to her dormitory after her patrol duty, curling herself in her bed.

"Hey, got yourself a date?" Julia finished trimming her nails properly, now examining it like a masterpiece.

"Mhmm.."

"Honestly, why do -"

A screamed interrupted them. Julia flinched at the sound of it, getting up from her pillow. Chloe, on the other hand, jumped around after making that sharp noise.

"Yes!"

"What happened?" Rebecca looked up from her essay, her curly hair getting in her thin face.

"I. Got. Asked by someone!" she threw her pillow up and down, squeezing it tightly and giggling. Emily noticed a rather large chest that Chloe had brought in her arms.

"Hey, what's that?"

"Oh, this?" she smiled even wider, "It was addressed to you. I think it's from your mom."

Emily quickly jumped out of her bed and crawled to it, the anxiety killing her. She had asked for a cheap dress, and perhaps she'll try and make it better for Merlin's sake.

The chest made a creaking sound, and Emily gasped. She covered her mouth with her hands, the excitement struggling to come out of her chest.

"Oh my lord!" she stood up, pulling out the extremely large ruby red ball gown.

It was absolutely gorgeous. There was gold lining on the dress, and it sparkled and shined as the light reflected it. It was backless, and the sleeves were ruffles, adding a square neckline to it.

"Holy cow. How'd you get that?" Julia's jaw dropped like it had lost its ability to shut it again.

"There can only be one reason..."

"And what's that?" Rebecca helped her made the folded edges of her gown straight again, raising her brow.

"My mother made it."

"Your mom is so cool," Chloe hugged her from the behind, muttering, "I wish my mom could make fabulous dresses."

"I know.. She's the best one I could've ever had. My father would be proud of her work, wouldn't he?"