Chapter 15: A Sad Valentine

"Shit!" Julia cursed as she looked at Emily, who was scribbling a letter for her mom

"Don't say that," she replied briskly, still focused on the piece of paper.

"No, I mean, there's literally shit on my window. Did you see those black droppings? Disgusting!"

"Oh. Clean it, then," Chloe waved her wand and made her parchment fly around the circular room. It slowly landed on the ground where Patty thought it was some strange creature and pounced on it.

"Yuck."

"Shush! Guys, I'm trying to concentrate," Emily complained a bit and crossed out a sentence.

"Yes, she's right! I need to concentrate too!"

"And what exactly?" Julia snorted.

"My valentine's card and that box of chocolates -"

"Let me guess. Its for Tobias -"

"Obviously. Would it be a troll living under a bridge?"

"Most likely," she laughed and stuff more chocolate in her mouth and made sloppy noises.

"Emily - you're going to do the same thing like last year, right?"

That thought seemed like a very, long time ago. "No. It's going to worsen our relationship if I do these silly things," she sighed, "It's not getting any better."

"It's not getting any better, and so it isn't getting bad either! What if one thing could change the whole situation you're in? Surely Riddle wouldn't be mad at you for so long. I'm sure he had missed you too."

"Nonsense," Emily tied the parchment to a barn owl, "You'll never know what would happen. I might - I might lose myself again."

"But you'll try, won't you? You would grab it even if there is a very, very slim chance that things might work out - and I'm not trying to get you to do this just because I'm doing it alone - I'm worried for you."

"But why?"

"Because - look at you! All I see is a poor, sad girl that sulked almost for a month. You'll do bad things if you can't control your emotions."

Emily scrunched her eyebrows, "Do bad things to myself?"

"Yeah! So, might as well fix the problem - what do you say?"

"Fine. And I'll stop trying if it goes down the slope."

"That's my girl! I - Julia, shut up! You sound like a pig!"

She looked up from her leather notebook and shrugged.

"Come on, we can do this. It just needs a bit of love and - everything's going to be fine."

********
"My prince is there!" Chloe closed her mouth make a muffled scream and pressed the metal box shaped like a love to her stomach.

"Calm down! I know he's there - just act natural. Be sweet," Emily smiled to her friend and pushed her forward. She watched Chloe staggered awkwardly to the boy - a ravenclaw student who happened to get inside the quidditch team.