Chapter 36 - Time to Rest Up

Chapter 36 – Time to Rest Up

Wednesday, July 11, 2046
4:10 PM
Lounge, Kanzen Colony
Korolev Crater, Mars

Jake had spent the last forty-two hours working with Brig. Malhotra, planning out what to do. The poor guy, and I saw in his eyes was weary and tired. I walked up to him.

"Baby?" I looked at him with compassion. "Aren't you gonna sleep?"

"No." Jake bluntly refused, as he sat down and me next to him. "I need to work and help save the world from any potential dangers."

"Darling, you been overworking yourself." I had to assure my boyfriend. "You need to rest and continue later on."

"I'll rest six feet under." Jake had to say this. Really? Ugh, last thing I needed to here!

"She has a point." S.A.L.M.A interrupted. "You're affecting the nervous system this way."

"Bullshit!" said Jake. "Not gonna work for me at all! I'm not sleeping till we're through!"

He got up to go, then I grabbed his hand. He turned to me, then saw my face. I was emotionally perturbed for him. Because I love him. His expression first seemed serious then he softened up and sat back down. He looked at me, smiling and a tear drop fell from his eye.

"I worry for your safety." Jake said. "I'm more scared of losing you than I'm scared for my own life."

"I'm been through worse!" said me. "I love you, too! But I worry for your health. I need you to sleep. At least eight hours if not more. You've not slept since we got here."

"I'm trained for that!" said Jake as he chuckled. "Years of being in the army, taught me so."

"Go to sleep, baby!" I said. "I promise you; I'll be okay."

Jake then fell asleep. Reagan on the other hand, who was earlier checking out the facility decided to fill in for Jake. Robotic vacuum cleaners swept the place keeping it clean, and maintenance robots continued to sweep the place. Some robots, programmed by Ajay, were keeping security watch.

"Reagan, you taking over for Jake?" I was curious.

"Yeah, let him sleep!" said Reagan. "Even soldiers have to rest sometimes."

"Jake's been overworking himself, so have you. Can't I help?"

"We're not excluding you out, you can help if you wish. But we don't need you to help just yet."

"What do you mean?"

"It's best that you wait our signal, when we need you, you can help." Reagan looked at me in concern. "Until then, just try to see, if you and S.A.L.M.A can join forces, you contact your friends, the more we can help, the better. As for S.A.L.M.A, she must continue to seduce K.U.R.T and try to see if she can exploit a weakness in him."

"I get it!" It amazed me what Reagan had in mind. "If we can get that AI on our side, then we can get an ally to help us!"

"Precisely! With some luck, we may also be able to use him, to hack the drones down on Earth, and stop this malice!"

"We still have three more days here, best we rest up and prepare more for our plan to save Galnac VR from being compromised."

"Don't worry about it!"