Chapter 28 - Making it Home

Chapter 28 – Making it Home

Thursday, July 5, 2046
9:33 PM
Perkins Residence

After safely making it back home, collecting my personal items, Sierra and just whatever needed, I instructed S.A.L.M.A not to allow anyone near my house. After that, I headed to my parents' house, alongside Reagan and Jake. Now when I think about it, when my parents first met in 2019 and married three years later, they eventually had me in 2023. When they met, my mother had saved her own skin from rapists who wanted to give her drugs and you know the rest. She was saved by a young man back in those days, who not only saved other girls, but also stopped a women-trafficking scheme in Houston. His name is Jonathan Montgomery, and Mom became close to him. Dad also was still in touch with him, in fact he was responsible for helping Jonathan in saving Mom and the other girls at the time, who were trapped in the ring.

We were on the road to my parents' house and finally made it. Sure, Reagan hadn't been there in months, and finally was happy to see it. In a way, it'd be good as they'd be happy to see us reconnecting. We got out of the car and headed to the house. Something was amiss.

"Jake?" I turned around and saw he was still in this car. "What're you doing?"

"Y'all go ahead. I'm heading back home. I'll come back tomorrow morning." Jake said.

"Wait, no!" Reagan said. "It's better you stay with us. Who knows what's waiting for you later on there?"

"Reagan's right, we mustn't separate for the time being." I concurred and added to Reagan.

"I'll be in touch." Jake insisted.

S.A.L.M.A however didn't seem pleased with Jake's response.

"There are surveillance drones patrolling the road that leads to your house as we speak." She declared. "Kimberly and Reagan's parents opted for discretion and privacy over security and spyware."

"You parents?" said Jake.

"Yes, my parents do trust C.O.R.A and Z.E.R.O over this invasion of privacy via drones." I said. "Being a Generation Alpha girl, the last of my generation too, I think it'd be wise not to go near them drones neither."

"Very well!" sighed Jake. "S.A.L.M.A, leave the car here. Tomorrow, we'll go to work."

"Yes, Cpt. Saunders! I'm on it!" said S.A.L.M.A.

"Thank you and cut the captain bullshit. I'm not in the army anymore." Jake commanded.

"You got replaced by a robot?" said Reagan.

"Yeah, I should have started five years earlier." Jake sighed. "More importantly, I should've been born five years earlier. Perhaps I'd have been an O-5, or lieutenant colonel, the first senior rank as a commissioned officer. Those are still full of human personnel, well for another decade at least."

"Let's just get inside." I said. "Too hot out here."

We knocked the door, then rang the bell. Mom then opened the door. Saw me, Jake and Reagan. She smiled seeing us all.

"Are y'all okay?" said Mom.

"Yes mom, I'm fine! So are Reagan and Jake." I said.

We came into the house and shut the door. Thankfully, no drone was in the vicinity, and Dad programmed all our devices to be using military VPN. A perk of Mom's cousin Sandra. Her husband, Kevin Cross owns a reputable huge software company and AI firm in Miami, FL. They usually come and visit for Christmas and summers. By now, Kevin is holding a net worth of $27.4 billion, and only works twenty-six hours per week, having most of his staff telecommuting, and also paying them very good for it too.