Prolog

Prolog

Thursday, July 5, 2046
7:41PM
Sugar Land, TX

No contact, no hope, nothing left. All gone, and words buzzing through my skull. My Android™ was with me but turned off in fear of any evil force may pick up on my smartphone signal. Okay, so my smartphone being a Samsung Galaxy™ S37 is more a holophone! What we may have, but it is what it is. As I stayed hidden outside in the bushes, under that big tree. I don't know where Jake was, or where Reagan had disappeared too.

It was a dark and tense situation, had nowhere to go. But had to move forward. Rains falling really hard from the sky. What to do? I stayed still, in fear, crouched and hidden in the bushes. Lightning and thunder also raged the skies.

"They gotta be here somewhere!" a voiced hollered in a distance. Keeping my cool and maintaining my distance, I tried to stay out of sight, and waited patiently, yet scared as the footsteps of men running in the opposite direction disappeared.

The footsteps were gone, but I still knew it wasn't safe. Saw about a multiple surveillance drones flying above the forest, shining their LED flashlights to the ground. You'd think those drones are police drones, and they are indeed police drones. However, been tampered with. In control by enemy forces.

I kept my breath held as the heavy rain pelted my face as if it weren't raindrops, but tiny pebbles, tearing through the trees and bushes. Still, had it not been for those trees and bushes above me, perhaps, I'd be hit on harder by those heavy drops.

"Kimberly!" I thought I heard a voice call my name.

I kept my head on a swivel, sure as hell didn't see anyone there. Nearby, a power pole was making crackling and static, electrical noises. On and off, there were sparks coming from the electrical UPS unit attached to the pole. This was one hell of a storm and dangerous situation.

"Kimberly!" said the voice again, I recognized it.

"Jake?" I shout out, albeit a little quieter. "Over here! Where are you?"

"Two bushes away, you need to get here!" said Jake, as loud as he could, but a little quieter to avoid detection.

"Any word from Reagan?" I called out in concern as the drones moved away.

"Nada! Just try and get over here!"

"On it, bear with me! It'll take some time."

It was a deadly scenario. Got kicked out of my boyfriend's house six months ago, lost my job to a robot, and now that I do get a job in a huge online company, working via virtual reality, now I must run from the threats of my own company. Not the type of life I was expecting.

I sucked in a lot of air, closed my eyes as I slowly emerged from the bushes, then made a break for it to join Jake to where he was. Thankfully, no drone nor guard must've seen me, or did they? Anyways, I could care less, I just needed to save my own skin. Finally ran up and reached Jake.

"You okay?" he said, as the rains continued to shower us like small stones.

"Yeah, we just need to find Reagan and stay together since we have no contact and can't use our phones." I said in high tension.

"Agreed, just stay low. My car ain't that far from here. Once we get your brother, we must get outta here."

Indeed, it was a scary situation, but we had to lay low. There was only one way out of this. We had to fight our way out! Time was of the essence, and stealth was the cornerstone of our plan.