Chapter 9 - First Day of the New Job

Chapter 9 – First Day of the New Job

Monday, May 7, 2046
7:21 AM
On route to Galnac VR
Houston, TX

Yee-haw! As the Texans say! Today was the first day of my new job. I sure as hell was excited. Nancy and Eliza felt no different than me. They for one didn't want to be without work and without money. I mean who'd in the right frame of mind even does? Anyways, I just waited till I arrived there. But I was excited, I did need to make my ends meet and more than that too.

I arrived at the building and it didn't look so bad, it was clearly a design of a building you saw in old sci-fi films. So, now I was hoping for better things to come my way and even better than I expected. Had I known about this sooner, hell I'd leave my job for this, ages ago. Not have to share liabilities with anyone then.

"Alright, girls! You ready?" I spoke to my BFFs on Facebook™ Messenger call. "To us being independent!"

"10-4!" said Nancy. "To us being independent!"

"Hoo-ah!" exclaimed Eliza. "My older brother, Matt, is a US Army Colonel. He'd be proud to hear of this!"

I walked out of the car as Nany and Eliza also arrived and followed suit. Excited for our interview. We knew that after today life would change. And this was gonna help me to get by life. As far as finding another man goes, I can easily wait till I find someone else. I just need time to myself.

The HR hiring manager was actually looking forward to hiring us. He looked at us and smiled. He didn't look old at all. No, this dude was only about in his mid-thirties. Name was Miles Tucker. And as he interviewed each of us, he smiled.

"Good to have you on board with us." He said, much to our delights. "I'll see you on the floor immediately for training."

"Thank you so much, sir!" I said. "See you then."

It was a relief that it was happening all so fast. Still, as per Dad's advice, I kept my guard up, and didn't let anyone nor anything put it down. I knew this wasn't the end of it all here. No telling where this would take me, but surely it wouldn't be anything wrong. I only hoped for the best and planned for the worst, keeping my head up and staying strong.

Nancy and Eliza also were looking forward to getting this started. We both headed to the VR training room to sign paperwork online and get the show on the road. It's like the old saying, 'Don't let one closing door let all others close on you.' and whoever did say that obviously knew what they were saying.