Chapter 19 - Swarm of Drones

Chapter 19 – Swarm of Drones

Monday, May 28, 2046
Houston, TX
3:09 PM
Galnac VR

I arrived to work and first thing I did was request to talk to management. I needed to get to the bottom of this. Did they even know that people have been missing for the last few days? Who knows how long this was even going on?

"Yes, thank you so much Kimberly!" Miles exclaimed. "We've recently come to notice there is an alarming number of missing personnel throughout the company. We've recently notified Houston Police and Texas Homeland Security. They've promised to investigate and initiate a search. But this news is very disturbing. Especially at a time, where employees are disappearing, we can't contact them. Their families sure are scared. Anyways, Kimberly. As a result, I'm dismissing all employees for a month, not permanently, but we need this to find out what's going on. You'll still be on salary for this leave. All of you. Thanks again, for bringing this to my attention. Have a good one."

They had dismissed all employees for today, we weren't too happy about out it. But then again, employee safety was more important than putting us in potential danger. As I walked out, along with Brian as well as Nancy and Eliza, then we made our way to the parking lot.

"Well, I'm glad we got out on paid leave!" Nancy exclaimed. "I needed to pay my bills."

"You said it, sister!" said Eliza. "I know I couldn't go home without my pay for time off that I'm involuntarily taking."

"Perks of Texas Workforce Commissions!" added Josh. "We need to be careful however. I don't know why, but I don't feel this company is safe. Police and Homeland Security are already acting on it, but maybe I also should look into it, being a former army officer."

"Josh, what the hell is that!" I said as I came to notice a swarm-like pattern in the sky.

It was a large swarm of drones, and it was coming down on us! Okay, this is so not cool! Not to mention, this is brand new since last time. What the hell was going on? The drones then swarmed down further towards us. We noticed they were black had red lights glowing.

"Oh, no!" said Josh. "That's not good!"

"Josh?" I looked in concern.

"RUN!"

The four of us split towards the parking lot. We ran as fast as we could, as the drones closed in on us. We were surrounded by them all around us. They spun around us and began to release smoke. It wasn't just smoke; it was sleeping gas. The four of us tried not to sleep, but to no avail.

"You four are going nowhere!" said an electronic voice, on the other end as we were knocked out.