Chapter 14 - an Outing Evolved Into a Date

Chapter 14 – an Outing Evolved Into a Date

Thursday, May 10, 2046
7:58 PM
Dawson Plaza, Bellaire
Houston, TX

The restaurant we decided to eat at was Appleby's™, which was my parent's favorite place to have barbecue and steak at. I couldn't blame them; it was indeed my favorite place too. Grew up coming here with them a lot as a little girl, and now it was all robot-staffed, much to my chagrin.

"That was an amazing dinner." Jake said in satisfaction. "Three steaks and some ribs? So much food."

"You said it, bro!" I exclaimed. "First time I've eaten huge in days."

"So, where you wanna go now?" I asked. "I thought I'd grab a bottle of beer."

"Same here, let's go to the bar." Jake said, pointing to the fountain. "It's right near the fountain."

"On it, Bud Light™'s on me!" I said. "I'll pay for it."

"No, no." Jake said. "I'm paying my own."

So, as mentioned earlier, me and Jake went to the bar within the restaurant, and we both got just one Bud Light™ each. The robot bartender just looked at us, as we had our bottles. Jake then out of the blue decided to tell a story.

"Okay, so it was six years ago, when I was promoted to the rank of captain, and I was twenty-two." Jake narrated. "I was at this super-secret boring meeting, when all of a sudden, we were deployed into Donetsk, Ukraine. I was happy with my team, we took out thirty international drug cartel members, and set fire to a potential stock of heroin and cocaine. Then it was me and my firearm. I counted six times, they almost got me. But man, they so did not get me."

It was then a janitor robot was just staring at Jake, narrating his story, giving this look as if it were thinking, 'Why is he telling me all this?'. Jake just looked at him, the robot then got back to cleaning the floor. He then smiled.

"Guess you'd have to be there in person." Jake said.

Thankfully, me and him had only one bottle of beer, each. I looked at my watch, the time displayed 8:30p. I then got up to go.

"Come on, Jake." I said. "Time to go."

"Alright, then." Jake obliged and got up to leave.

Now, I don't know if we were drunk or what the case was. We went back to our cars, but we held hands as we did. Jake did feel uncomfortable at first, but I assured him he was okay. We then reached our cars and I was amazed seeing how me being a petit five-foot, three inches tall, and Jake being five-foot, ten; I was still being able to meet close to him.

"Goodnight, Kimberly." Jake said, sort of unstable.

"Goodnight, Jake." I replied.

Suddenly, the two of us shared a warm kiss. It was weird, but I felt good about it. As far as Jake was concerned, he didn't seem to mind either.