Chapter 4 - the Amazing Weekend

Chapter 4 – the Amazing Weekend

Saturday, April 28, 2046
Memorial City Food Court
Houston, TX
1:20 PM

So, who doesn't like another day to relax, spend it with your 'BFFs' and what better place to go other than Memorial City Mall? Wait, did I say 'mall' at the end? Forgive me, most of the shopping centers and stores had permanently called it quits, and eventually the food industry invested billions in more restaurants.

"I ain't gonna lie, y'all." Eliza looked at us. "I work as a paralegal, but I don't think I'll last there long. Too many cutbacks lately."

"I know, right?" said Nancy. "That's why I've been looking for better. Kimberly?"

"Agreed, I've been looking left and right myself. God knows what may happen next." I said.

I wasn't sure about my job much either. Deep inside, I was more tormented at my brother's loss and Daryl's bossy attitude. Okay, so I'm twenty-three years old. But I'm still young, and I'm human. I have emotions too.

My parents still are at their age. Especially my mother, she grew up being kidnapped by assholes who wanted to rape her and sell her to an international brothel back here in 2019. Then again, she harks back to a time, where none of us were truly fearful of climate change, job automation, economic recession and loss of human interaction. Although, she and Dad weren't born until 2003 and 2000, respectively, and they never knew the era they'd often day they'd prefer to live during the 1990s, than in the Age of Mass E-commerce and people dating androids, having given up hope on human soulmates.

I for one, must be very primitive for my time. However, only because I have my best friends with me, I'm happy. For one, I don't know what it felt like to truly love a machine, although I may love Sierra, my robotic cat.

The three of us, went to a virtual reality arcade to explore what they had to offer. Before that, we decided on getting some seafood. Eliza then raised her hand. Apparently, she had some reservations.

"Guys, let's not stay in this place for too long. I've been trying to cut down social media usage, and just not being on Twitter™ lately feels good." Eliza said.

"Don't worry about it. We here to enjoy ourselves and put personal business aside." I said.

"I agree with Kimberly, after all, I need to also stay solo, and ride till the end with y'all." Nancy added to my statement. "Me and Kim, will eventually return to work Monday, and I hope to spend a good moment with myself as well."

Yes, the idea of returning to work sounded really exciting by Monday. But little did we know, dear reader, this Monday wasn't gonna be the same. And we didn't even have the slightest idea.