Chapter 31 - Visit from Sandra and Kevin Cross

Chapter 31 – Visit from Sandra and Kevin Cross

Saturday, July 7, 2046

6:43 PM

Perkins Residence

Pearland, TX

It's been almost a year since I heard from both my uncle and aunt. Well my distant uncle, aunt and distant cousin, Ashley. I missed them the most. Moreover, I was hoping to see then this Christmas, when I was gonna put a vacation request in August to visit Miami. However, they already had arrived, and were on route to our location, in Pearland, TX; where my parents resided.

For those who'd need a backstory, back when the Purple Sword drug cartel, took over Miami, FL; the year was 2028. A couple months prior to that, Uncle Kevin lost his girlfriend Ashley Dawson, who was his soulmate back in November 2027. Ashley, my cousin is named after her. He took down the drug cartel single-handedly with a little assistance from Sandra, and his two friends Jonathan (not Montgomery) and Zane (not Galnac). They got married in 2030, when me and Reagan were seven, and he started his own software company, which happened to be one of the most prestigious software and artificial intelligence corporation in existence, being a multi-millionaire himself. He loved us a lot as his own kids. Around the same time, many shopping malls and stores, including places at the Pearland Town Center had closed down for good, in the light of heavy job automation and prominence of online shopping.

"Reagan, you're still on the phone with them?" I said. "When'll they be here?"

"They just passed by FM 2234 and are still on Highway TX-288." Reagan answered. "They've taken an Uber, making sure they've not been seen by anyone."

"Well, they should be glad no one knows who they are." Jake replied. "Well, at least not yet."

It was then we heard the knock on the door. Yes, they were here. We all smiled and sighed in relief.

"Glad you're okay!" said Aunt Sandra as she walked in and hugged me and Reagan. "Savannah, thank God!"

She ran to hug mom, her cousin. Uncle Kevin embraced both me and Reagan. Ashley also came in behind them.

"Ashley!" said me. "Long time, no see, girl!"

"Yeah, just about so!" said Ashley.

"Glad y'all are okay!" said Uncle Kevin. "How've you guys been?"

"Better, much better!" said Reagan. "Glad Kimberly made it out alive."

"Hope life has been treating you well." Uncle Kevin looked at me. "I don't know what it came down to and why, but I'm aware of what's going on."

"Why don't you settle down first." Dad said. "You can explain it later at dinner tonight."

Thirty-two minutes later...

Later on, at dinner, Uncle Kevin went on to explain, how C.O.R.A, invented by him, helped him a few days ago, to uncover a deadly plot that threatened the States. One that imprisoned anyone that adopted a digital lifestyle. Guess they weren't too happy, having lost their jobs to a robot, or having a machine wipe out their livelihood.

"This is ridiculous, why penalize the Gen Z and Generation Alpha?" retorted Jake. "Why if technology, globalization and progress come at a price, and millions of jobs are either becoming automated or outsourced to developing nations, then we've got a lot of compensation from it too! Millions of more jobs are now present, three times more."

"Maybe he was also Gen Z or Alpha." Sandra added. "No way, a Generation X or Millennial was behind this."

"The whole situation blows, but before we can do anything, we need to make sure all of us do this appropriately and plan it thoroughly." Uncle Kevin said. "We can't risk any lives."

I looked out our window, the glow of LED lights from surveillance drones in the sky, shimmered with amazing brightness. They weren't enemy drones, no! They were neighborhood watch drones. Jake and Reagan hacked the drones, to phase out any detection from enemy threats.

"We'll leave Monday evening, heading to the NASA facility. But we must keep it quiet and sneaky!" said Uncle Kevin.

"Daddy?" said Ashley. "Why are you doing this? I don't want you hurt!"

"Don't worry baby!" said Aunt Sandra. "We'll be safe. Savannah?"

"Don't worry, Sandra. We'll take care of Ashley. Me, Dallas, C.O.R.A, Z.E.R.O and S.A.L.M.A of course!" said Mom.

"I suggest you utilize reactive camouflage as you enter the base." C.O.R.A said.

"That facility is heavily guarded!" elaborated Z.E.R.O.

"We'll keep you safe though!" S.A.L.M.A assured us.

"Then we leave Monday night!" I said. "It's now or never!"

We rested up for the night, and the following night. It was gonna be a fight for our lives.