Chapter 26 - Back to the Beginning

Chapter 26 – Back to the Beginning

Thursday, July 5, 2046
6:44 PM
Forest near Houston city limits

We then heard the last set of troops who were scouting the area, looking for escapees. Fortunately, much to our peace of mind, Eliza and Nancy texted me and Jake notifying us that they were safe. We texted back saying, we'll join them shortly. For the last few hours, we kept a low profile, and stayed aloof. Largely thanks to Jake and his camouflaged hideout. It was still raining as hard as hell.

"Thank God, they're safe." I said. "I couldn't risk losing them."

"We also need to stay out of sight, via reactive camouflage and move slowly!" explained Jake. "Should we get caught, just know I love you!"

"I love you, too!" said myself to my man.

We kissed some more, and hugged. Then we moved out from there, slowly and gradually. Keeping our heads down, staying out of sight, we pressed forward. My heart paced, hoping to avoid drones and potential mercenaries.

One hour later...

I heard noises in the bushes we were in. We kept quiet, trying to deny that anything or even anyone was in the bushes with us. I was scared no doubt. But first, I had to resolve my courage and turn around. So, I did, and I saw the young man hiding in the bushes with us. None other than Reagan!

"Reagan!" I whispered in delight.

"Glad you're safe." Jake said. "Bringing the car to us. I've already signaled it with my app to come to me."

"Good job!" said Reagan. "Meanwhile, I got contacted from an unknown source, willing to help us. Told us to meet someplace in 48 hours."

"How do you know to trust him?" said Jake.

"Because he seems to be the same person, who wrote that article on people disappearing at Galnac VR on Medium™, at least it sounds like him!" said Reagan.

"Then we must move and fast!" I exclaimed. "I need to see Mom and Dad, before we meet him along with you. They'll be happy we patched up and for real, but every second we dilly-dally just puts us at more risk!"

"Agreed!" said Reagan. "Let's move!"

The car then pulled up to us, and we got in. It began to drive, and the GPS took us back to Mom and Dad's. It also was then; I remotely signaled my car to go back to my apartment. We soon began to drive and free from that danger zone.