Chapter 10 - Inside the Simulation

Chapter 10 – Inside the Simulation

Monday, May 7, 2046
9:14 AM
Galnac VR

Training was going amazing. I was inside a simulation which looked so real and indistinguishable from reality. And my avatar? Damn thing looked exactly like me (of course due to company policy)! I kinda saw myself doing a job in there, which I actually was. Basically, I was doing the same job I used to do in the real world, but more in-depth with artificial intelligence research. I was helping someone in another part of the world. Tokyo, Japan to be more specific.

"Wow, this is amazing!" I exclaimed.

"You said it, sister!" said Nancy.

"I concur!" added in Eliza.

I needed to admit, I didn't want to lose my job anytime soon. But this was far better. Working lesser hours and for even higher pay. I didn't know of this, otherwise I'd be happy to say now I'm an independent person. Today overall was an amazing day so far. I couldn't complain that's for sure. But I did in the back of my mind perhaps had the concern of whether this was safe or not.

Wasn't really much of a concern to me at the moment. I knew one thing for sure, at least I was gonna start earning to pay off my expenses and I could live comfortably. We're already in a time where deforestation has caused a rapid climate change and now the beach waters of Galveston, TX is literally only sixteen miles from Downtown. Above us was a swarm of surveillance drones, and in the Gulf of Mexico, was a windfarm of millions of windmills, producing terawatts of clean electricity, via hurricane and tropical storm winds.

"This is actually a good way to work." I agreed.

"This is nothing!" said Miles. "By Christmas, even you'll be able to telecommute with this baby!"

"Uh huh? And?" I asked in curiosity.

"You'll only have to come to work on-site once a month. But they'll expand your hourly pay by $3 more." He spoke with a lot of enthusiasm and positive vibes. "Mitchell's vision in a way has curbed poverty for millions, if not more."

"Is this safe?" I was concerned.

"Indeed, it is, we're using state-of-the-art firewalls and encryption methods. Unbreachable for centuries."

"Just remember!" said Mitchell to all of us. "This not only will make the world a better place, but also will help those living on extraterrestrial frontiers such as the Moon and Mars!"

"Most important part of it all, is payday is daily, effective today!" said Miles. "By tonight, you've already earned $743.59!"

"How exciting!" said Nancy.

"Indeed!" said Eliza.

"Ready to do this again tomorrow!" said me.

"I'm sure you'll have a great one after this!" said Mitchell.