Chapter 8 - Last Week of Unemployment.

Chapter 8 – Last Week of Unemployment.

Friday, May 3, 2046
6:11 PM
The Galleria
Houston, TX

The girls and I are celebrating an accomplishment. And if you guessed what it was, we had gotten the job. Me and the girls had applied to Galnac VR. Founded by Dad's colleague, who named the company after Zane Galnac, the man who made this possible.

We were at the food court, and we were celebrating that we got the job, which saved the lives of more than half the planet's population, who lost their jobs to technology. So, we were eating seafood. And having Starbucks after that.

"Isn't it exciting? That we'd only be working three days per week, getting Wednesday till Sunday off, and still get great job benefits?" asked Nancy. "I mean I'm only twenty-six, but I can't handle more than three days of work, anymore."

That indeed was exciting. "Honestly, I have to agree. To be honest, since my breakup with Daryl and layoff from Walker's CPA and Partners, I've not been feeling so relaxed being away from that place. Good thing too, we get to telecommute Wednesday, only going Monday and Tuesday. And $116,000 per year? Yeesh, sure by now that's gonna curb a lot of poverty in this world."

"Well, according to Wikipedia™, Liam Mitchell Jr was born in 1998, in Houston, and worked in software development. However, knowing too his job wasn't safe and neither was the future of jobs, he started a new company to help not only him, but the future generations." Eliza researched the man whom we'd work for. "He founded the company in 2026 as Mitchell Job Savior, with the purpose to provide unemployed people with jobs online, via virtual reality. However, he was impressed with Zane Galnac over the years, and eventually renamed his company in his honor. Galnac had no reservations and permitted him."

"A man of my talents!" said S.A.L.M.A as a joke. "Isn't that wonderful?"

"Oh, did anyone of y'all see the basketball game last night between the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks?" said Nancy in curiosity.

"Nah, I tried to." Eliza replied. "But my Internet connection was going up and down. I eventually had to DVR the whole thing in the cloud storage. May watch it tonight."

"Rockets won! They beat them 117 to 102!" Nancy blurted out the score.

"Oh no you just didn't spoil the game for me!" said Eliza smiling as she was just playing.

"Yes, I did!" said Nancy, then she jokingly laughed.

"Fuck you, Nancy!" said Eliza jokingly. "Fuck you!"

The three of us laughed and continued to enjoy ourselves. Hoping for the best, planning for the worst. We were sure better things would come our way, but if you seriously need to thank someone, thank Liam Mitchell Jr!