Chapter Hundred and Nine

"I can see why you love it here

"I can see why you love it here."

"We both did."

Three Years Later

Three Years Later.
"Courtney, can you get Brandon out here to help us?" I question her as she finishes off serving a man at our bar. Turning my attention back to the third beer I'm cracking open for a woman in the middle of the bar, I give her a friendly smile as I pass the beverage over. Courtney must've gotten Brandon because a minute later I'm squeezing up against the bar to let him past, the three of us working every section of the bar. Surprisingly business for bars and pubs are booming as people across the world have flocked to delve into drinking away their sadness for the night. Jackson would've loved it if he'd been around to see it. Unfortunately, he's just another name on the list of people I've lost.

After driving back up from Mexico I beelined for the French Quarter, zipping up to my favorite place in the world. When I arrived I checked back into my apartment upstairs. Jackson must've finally gotten around to renovating the place since any evidence of bullet holes and blood has mysteriously gone missing. I'd thought being here would make things easier but sadly it's not the case. Three years on and I still feel like I'm drifting in and out of an endless void that is grief. The other day I'd cried over a ham and cheese sandwich that reminded me of Sam. No matter how much of a pain in my ass the man was, he'd been my friend and a good one at that.

"Addie!" Courtney calls from down the bar, waving her dainty dark hand out at me "Can you throw me the bottle of vodka?"

Knowing I'm the closest I stretch behind humming, lifting the blue bottle out and turning to slide it skillfully down the bar and past the flurry of customer hands. Giving Courtney a friendly smile when she calls to thank me, I spin to grab more glasses when I hear an unmistakable voice speak over the crowd "Excuse me, ma'am? Can you tell me what's good here?"

Smirking as I twirl on the spot a grin curls onto my lips when I spot Steve leaning charmingly against the bar. Blonde hair combed back it hardly takes me a second to quip back, "Well my swigger guzzling geezer in my books bourbon will certainly have you flipping your wig around all the doll's up in here."