Chapter 48. Just A Game

Xara's POV.

I took in a deep breath, not able to contain silent giggles inside of me. This was so so so weird! Everything about this situation was unnatural and wrong and it was supposed to freak me out - but it didn't. Not the fact that it really reminded me of the Institute, not the fact that the morning chill had started to crawl its way under my nightgown, the only piece of clothing I was wearing.

But somewhere deep inside everything I could've hated about this - the cold, the restriction, being literally below Romeo - all of them only brought me more satisfaction. I felt helpless but not entirely, I knew it would all end the moment I wanted it. Besides, it was nice to see my friend finally in charge.

I wiggled my wrists above my head, but rather weakly. I didn't want to free them just yet, after all. My eyes stared into Romeo's and I smirked at him to prevent any panic attacks and anything unpleasant that could happen if he freaked out for just a moment.

"Oh no, another escape attempt failed!" I whined playfully and really hoped the guy wouldn't take it seriously. I was just pretending to be upset, honestly, all that I wanted was to play with him a little. We had never done it ever since the night Fred died, and I missed it. I wanted to feel innocent and young again, I... I wanted to be a child again, at least for a moment.

Romeo's eyebrows rose but then he smiled again, and that smile echoed with warmth in my chest. He was in. He knew I wouldn't be serious the next few minutes.

"Of course it did, X." He replied in the mocking version of his old smug voice, which made me laugh once again. "You didn't think you could outrun me, did you?"

Shivers ran down my spine as he called me by my prison nickname once again. Flashbacks flashed through my head, but when I was expecting the wave of fear and horror and rage to attack... Nothing happened. I didn't feel angry at the nickname.

Romeo looked extremely worried. He bit his lip, gazing down on me and waiting for my reaction to come. Again, I had to play it right, otherwise it would end up not very nice for both of us.

So I looked down in surrender, the surrender I had never actually shown in Sunshine Institute, and answered with a smile: "Of course not, mister Admin."

He flinched as well and for a moment or so I studied his face to see if he was panicking or something. But the huge grin that appeared on his face eased my worries. Okay, he was okay, he was fine. And so was I.

"Now-now, what should I do with you, huh?" The guy growled playfully and withdrew one of his hands. He still held my wrists together, not that I resisted, and brushed a corner of his plaid up and down my cheek. This was the closest we could get to touching each other, but it still felt not as pleasant as it would have if he brushed his fingers against my cheek.

"Oh no!" I struggled ever so weakly, and much to my happiness, he didn't let go. His grip only tightened, but not to the point where it was painful or even uncomfortable. "Please, don't hurt me! I'll give you anything you want, I'll do whatever you want, just pleeeeeeeease!"

This was so unlike the Institute. Down there I personally would've killed myself a few times before saying anything even close to this to my sworn enemy. But now there was no humiliation in that phrase, no self-deprication. I didn't mind pleading for mercy when it was just a game.

"Hmm, anything, you say?" Romeo laughed and bent closer to me, which made my heart skip a beat. What was he doing? What was he playing at?! The weakest of fears got born in my chest, but I was past the point of distrust.

I knew he wouldn't hurt me. I knew he wouldn't do anything I disliked or disapproved of. I knew he could control himself.

"Well..." His head was just above mine now. If I moved it up even a little our foreheads would've touched and then something else would've happened. I gulped as I stared into the eyes of my roommate, which were closer to me now than ever. Wow... They were beautiful. Beautiful indeed.