Chapter 3. Forgotten routine.

Meh...

I looked around the room that Jesse had given me. To be completely honest, it was a surprise that he actually did it for me. However, since he needed me that much that he even bothered to deliver the letter to the Underneath, he could've done more.

The room I was supposed to stay in was rather small. It was barely bigger that my prison cell in the Sunshine Institute, but at least there I was all alone. Here I couldn't get rid of the feeling that every moment a door to my room can be shut open and a crowd of people will come in. I could hear that there were too many people here, in this building: walking around, talking to each other, doing some other noisy things. But, at least, I wasn't going to stay in some sort of a hotel with even more people.

My room had a bed that even looked rather comfortable, a big wardrobe, a good wooden table with a clock and a lantern on it, two chairs and a window without curtains. I also had a small bathroom with a sink and toilet, which I didn't hesitate to use. Gosh, what was the last time I'd had a proper shower?!

I dried myself up with a towel that I had found on the bed and looked in the mirror. For the first time since I couldn't remember when, I finally got to see my reflection. My once magneficent hair were now a mess, my skin was painfully pale as if I was sick, and it wasn't hard to notice dark circles under my eyes.

- What happened to me? - I groaned, putting on my ugly jumpsuit. I didn't have anything else to wear, so this was a constant reminder of my past. As if I could forget!
Alright, on second thought, the room was rather fine. Nothing compared to my old house, but Jesse left some things for me to use, so it wasn't like I wasn't grateful. I took a brush from a white shelf near the sink and tried my best to brush my hair.

After about an hour of struggling, I managed to get rid of all the knots, so my hair now looked like something appropriate. I also brushed my teeth and washed my hair with shampoo. It took a whole bottle of it for my purple hair to become perfectly clean, but it didn't matter.

After few long hours of restless cleaning myself, I finally came out to my room, feeling almost reborn. It would've been faster if I washed my hair at the same time with taking shower - that way I wouldn't have wasted so much time changing clothes - but it was my first shower in a really long time, so it's okay.

I opened my wardrobe and gasped silently, seeing some clothes inside. Did Jesse get them for me?! Highly likely, since some of them still had labels, meaning they were rather new.
- Yes yes yes! - I grinned, getting rid of my terrible jumpsuit and putting on a white T-shirt. It turned out to be a really weird type of a T-shirt: it was too soft and, despite it fit me perfectly, it was so long that it covered my knees. And it didn't look like anything one will wear outside. 

A nightgown, perhaps? I looked at the window: it was dark already, so I decided to stay like this. Besides, it was rather comfy.
I walked to the window and looked outside. Even now the town was filled with people, I could see them literally everywhere. Too many sounds, too many lights, too many humans - how can anybody live in a place like this?

Suddenly someone knocked on the door.
- Xara? - I heard Jesse's muffeled voice. - You alright?
- Fine. - I replied, closing the window and blocking the sounds.
- There's some food in the fridge, if you're hungry. - He said. - Help yourself with anything you find, it's all yours.

I smirked and tugged at my nightgown.
- Thanks!
There was a long silence, and I was pretty sure Jesse wanted me to open the door. Yet I just folded my hands and sat on the bed, smirking slightly.
- Anyway... - His voice sounded a little bit upset. - We should be at the meeting with Dr. Doe tomorrow at ten. If you could come downstairs by eight thirty, it would be great!