Chapter 33. Rules

Xara's POV.

I walked down on the first floor, fiddling with my clothes a bit. The upcoming discussion really worried me a lot. After all, I would finally understand what happened in that prison, I would finally know how to help Romeo.

In the meantime, I would probably have to deal with a couple of his panic attacks, so I doubt it's such a good thing after all.

Still, it's extremely important for our future communication that we have this chat. I was just tired of accidentally doing something wrong and pushing Romeo back in his terrified prisoner mode. Maybe we should've done it on the day one, but I hadn't thought it would be such a problem.

I used to be such a fool.

Romeo was cooking something rather energetically. His ususal blanket wrapped over his shoulders, red colour hiding the horrible white of his clothes. I had a feeling we both would despise white after everything is over.

I watched as he moved around the kitchen, opening the fridge and taking something out, never even stopping for a moment to look around and notice me. I smiled and leaned against the wall, just taking my time. The first time I had seen Romeo cook he was terrified of making the wrong move and absolutely silent. Now he was moving here and there, almost relaxed, and I swear I could imagine him humming a song.

I had to hold back a chuckle when I saw my ally slide on the tiled floor a bit whenever he was moving somewhere. He was definitely having some fun there, just walking a bit and then sliding all the way to the end. Something light and bright fluttered inside me as I kept my eyes glued to the guy. Maybe it wasn't a good thing to just spy on him like this, but it was my kitchen too.

Eventually, when he began mixing something, his blanket slid down his back and dropped on the floor. Romeo bent down to pick it up, and then his eyes fell on me. He flinched and grabbed his blanket, awkwardly turning back around to hide his blush. That's when I broke down. Laughter came out from my chest, but it was very different from the kind of laughter I had had in Sunshine Institute. This one was different.

It was genuine.

- Well, that was quite a performance. - I smirked and saw Romeo's shoulders tense. He was still mixing something, but this time he focused on standing straight and not moving at all. I rolled my eyes. He knew I wouldn't hurt him, correct?

Just as his blanket began to slide down again, my hands grabbed it and pulled it off my friend. He placed the bowl with orange-ish something near the sink and looked at me helplessly.
- Can I please have it back? - He asked, and I heard an unmistakable whine in it. Oh? He was that desperate to get his blanket back?

- Sure. - I replied but took a step back, looking him up and down. Just having it draped over his shoulders caused Romeo a few problems, it always wanted to slide down and fall on the floor. Maybe I could somehow tie it around his neck like a cape of some sort? Or, even better...

I held back laughter as I told the guy to turn around and raise his arms, so that he was standing in a pose that resembled a T letter. He looked at me with suspicion but did as he was told. I pressed the blanket to his back, the long sides of it facing up and down and almost hugged Romeo to cross the sides of it under his arms and over his chest. Following my orders, he held the blanket to his chest and turned back around. I took the top corners of the blanket and pulled them up, around his neck and then, finally, tied the knot on the back of Romeo's neck. Then stepped back and tilted my head to examine my masterpiece.

Romeo was just standing there awkwardly, not sure what to say or even think about the way I dressed him. I, on the other hand thought it was just adorable. The blanket crossed over his chest and was held by a tight knot, the bottom of it hanging behind his legs. It very much resembled a dress.