Chapter 35. Instead Of Choosing

Xara's POV.

I let out a loud yelp when the back of the chair disappeared from behind me. My body fell down, panic settling in my heart. Instantly, I gripped the edges of the wooden seat and opened my eyes, expecting the sound of breaking wood to bring aching pain to my back, but...

But nothing happened.

Instead, I was stuck in a weird position, holding onto my chair as if my life depended on it, but the chair was tilted back. Its front legs didn't touch the ground, and in a couple of moments it took me to realise what the hell was actually going on, the chair didn't move at all.

I sucked in a deep breath and looked up. Of course. Romeo was standing behind, holding the chair in such a position, his eyes wide with fear of realisation. He stared at me for quite a while, neither one of us saying anything to each other. Frankly, what could I say? There were no words left in my head, I could barely comprehend my unusual state.

Then I saw fear gradually fade away from Romeo's eyes. Maybe it was due to the fact that he didn't see any trace of fury on my face, maybe his old self was kicking in. But slowly, very slowly, a new emotion flashed in his eyes, bringing a corner of his lips to curl up in a small smirk.

- Um. - I shifted on the chair to see him better. - What is the meaning of this?
- Y-you said that if I didn't make a choice you wouldn't move from your seat. - The guy replied, and something in his voice changed. He sounded almost playful. - And I don't want to make a choice, so...
- Hey, let me do-OW! - What was meant to be a serious request turned into a shriek of surprise when Romeo pulled on the back of the chair. It tilted back even more and my grip on it tightened while I was merely trying to breathe.

And then he began walking, dragging me behind him. I held on for my dear life, although that wasn't necessarry. If I wanted to, I could easily jump down and comfront my roommate, but I allowed him to drag me outside. This was so unusual and unexpected, I really wanted to see how this would play out.

Warm feeling appeared somewhere inside me once I noticed a small smirk still on Romeo's face. He actually had fun now, huh? How he wasn't able to choose an activity but did something so reckless was beyond my understanding. Still, this was going to make today very interesting.

- Is this what you're choosing then? - I sounded truly amused. Where was the scared slave I had been living with? Where was "perfect" Romeo, John Doe’s pride? Who was this guy on the other side of the chair?
- Nope. - He shook his head, pushing the door open and dragging me out. - It's how I'm refusing to choose.

He looked down and sighed. To get me to the ground, from where he would be able to put me under sunlight, he would have to drag this chair down a couple of stairs. And that would mean a few really uncomfortable bumps for me.

No. No, he wouldn't. No, he would not! He would never-

I hit the chair when Romeo pushed it down one time. The wooden legs creaked but held, and I had just enough time to give him a half-hearted glare before being forced to collide with the back of the chair again. And again.

- Dammit. - I huffed, relieved that the uncomfortable way down was over and now the wood of the legs was sliding on the grass. - Is this really easier than making a decision?
- Yes. - The redhead replied, I could hear him breathing faster now. Well, it was his own goddamn fault, even though this didn't bring me anger or disappointment. After all, I think I had won this one. Romeo had actually chosen to spend a day outside near me. He just didn't know it yet.

- If you want to sit there all day long, at least sit outside. - He murmured, positioning the chair under the sun. Its warm rays instantly made me feel a bit sleepy, but this was way too thrilling to just give in to my temptations. - This way it'll be more healthy for you.