Chapter 11. Almost too late

Xara's POV.

I was right after all. I couldn't bring myself to sleep another fifteen minutes, every time I closed my eyes I saw that scene repeating again and again and again. Romeo standing in the shadows, the blade of the knife shining ominously near his wrist. And then I run to him, but I don't get there fast enough, and blood spills, and I watch as his warm body falls on the ground, the last smile still on his face, the glow of madness in his eyes fading slowly. It felt like a stab in my heart, for some reason that I couldn't understand. And maybe - I wasn't sure yet - that expensive fine had nothing to do with it.

The sun had already started to rise from the horison, when Romeo groaned silently and shook his head. I stood up from the chair, not sure what to feel: hatred or fear. I guess I kinda felt both.
I had layed him on the sofa again, but what shocked me was how light he was. As if he had been starved by those people. However, he didn't look so thin, and right now I had more important things to worry about.

Like I said, he groaned silently. I stood up from the chair and put the knife back on the table, for from Romeo's reach. I watched as he frowned, his eyes squeezed shut, before opening them up. He looked around the room, his black eyes disfocused. When his gaze fell on me, he frowned and rubbed his eyes.

- Wakey-wakey. - I spoke bitterly, but it was mostly because I didn't know what to feel. Fury? Pity? Fear? - How are you doing?
- X-Xara? - He whispered, and I cringed. Even now he couldn't raise his voice! - What? How? W-where?
- Don't you remember? - I raised an eyebrow. - You tried to kill yourself. Again.
Romeo winced and sat up, looking down on the floor and breathing heavily. I couldn't see his face. And it made me furious.

- Look at me. - I growled. - Look at me, you coward!
He sobbed but obeyed nevertheless, his eyes dull. For a second or two he kept his gaze on me, before breaking down and turning his head away, as if my glare could kill. Funny. Didn't he want to die?
- Do you want to die, Romeo? - I hissed through my gritted teeth, welcoming the awakening anger. My fists clenched as he gulped and shook his head, adrenaline rushing to my head and pulsing in the bruised side of my face.

And pain ignited rage.

I grabbed his chin and roughly turned his head, so that his sad eyes were staring right into mine.
- One more time. - I tightened my grip as he tried to look away. - Do. You. Want. To. Die?!
Romeo tried to shake his head but I wouldn't let him do this. His scarlet goatee got tangled between my fingers, and I pulled at it slightly, a spark of wicked glee igniting in me when I see him wincing in pain.

Still though, he didn't raise his hands, allowing me to hurt him all I wanted. This was interesting. Had he been punished if he tried to get away from the source of pain? Highly likely. However, the anger inside me didn't let me feel bad for him. Well... Maybe a bit.

- N-no. - Romeo whispered, and the fact that he couldn't raise his voice even, goddamn it, now was like a trigger to me. I stood up, power pulsing inside my muscles, all of it craving to be unleashed on him.
- No? - I spoke too calmly. - Ooh. I see how it is!
My enemy gulped and tried to back away from me, but I swiftly grubbed his wrists and held him in place firmly.

- You think you're a victim, don't you? - I mocked cruelly. - You think that you don't deserve suffering like this? Think that after death you will finally be happy and forgiven? Well?! DO YOU?!
- N-n-no, no, I don't! - He shook his head frantically, but it was a little too late, nothing mattered to me anymore, not his fear or his cry, or that painful knot that formed behind my heart.
- So, guess what. - I jerked his hands forward, smirking at him with no mercy. - Wish granted.