Chapter 14. Why?

Xara's POV.

After a minute of two Romeo seemed to finally calm down. His breathing became lighter, and his grip on the blanket loosened a bit. I waited patiently, not seing any purpose in interrupting the fragile process or ordering him to hurry up. After all, he had just been reminded of how much people hated him. This couldn't have been a lovely experience.

After a while, he finally looked up, his grey eyes locking with mine. They were bloodshot, hurt, broken - but extremely grateful. As if I had saved his life or something.

- Thank you. - He whispered, handing me his plaid. I shook my head, giving him a weak smile, which only grew wider as confusion appeared on his pale face.
- I told you, it's yours. - I shrugged. - You're gonna need it later.
Instantly my smile died down. One thought of what I was going to do to Romeo later... Wasn't he hurt enough? Didn't he deserve a break at least from me?

But, no. He had brought it upon his own head. If he hadn't tried to kill himself earlier, I wouldn't have had to do it. It was all just for his and my safety, he would be gtateful after. Just... For one or two nights or so, unless I can be sure he won't try anything like that again.

I sighed and looked up. My enemy... Oh, well, I couldn't really call him my enemy now, could I? Even though he had hurt me a lot... I guess, I'll be calling him my roommate from now on, we do live rather close to each other.

So, my roommate snuggled deeper in the soft fabric, as if it was a pillow. I rolled my eyes and tucked the sheet of white fabric in one of the bags, grabbing it. Romeo took the other, still holding the blanket to himself, his grey eyes shining with appreciation. And there was a sudden shock of pain coming from my chest, making me flinch and hiss in agony, almost dropping the box with the glass panel in it. What was going on with me?

- Xara? - Romeo asked, looking uneasy. I shrugged the pain off, leaving behind only empty space. - You, uh... You okay?
- Yes. - I replied, looking in another direction. - Let's get going.
Without waiting for his answer I began going towards the exit of the Town, and the guy hurried behind me. There were some waves coming from him, although I acted as if I hadn't felt them. And, slowly, they cooled down and Romeo took a step back, walking in the exact same place he had been taught to. Two steps behind me.

I didn't even realise he had been so close to me.

As soon as this thought appeared in my head I felt unnaturally hot. Well, the sun was rising higher and higher, I guess that was the reason it happened. Now there were more people on the streets, but they were still glaring at Romeo. However, this time my hand simply wouldn't go and pat his arm soothingly. It just... Didn't happen.

When we finally went out of Town and the gates slid closed behind us, Romeo sighed and I briefly looked at him. His head hung low, his eyes on the ground, his muscles tense, his hand holding the blanket as if it was the most precious thing in his life.

Whatever. I certainly did not feel any bad for him, nor did I care about his feelings. He deserved it!

I walked down a path to the right, when suddenly my roommate called me from another direction. I whipped away, staring at him as he looked on the other path, the one that led to the left.
- Is-isn't your house in that direction? - He pointed at his road, looking a bit below my eyes. Yep, he was right. We should've went that way, so - why had I been so sure we came from anoter way?

- Yes, right. - I nodded, walking to him. - I-uh... Sorry. Don't know what's happened to me.
- Lost in thought? - He asked, and tried to smile. Didn't work out so good, but at least he did try. I simply nodded and began moving down the right path, my mouth shut again.