Popular!LevixEx-bestfriend!Reader ~ Got your back

Modern AU

(Y/N)'s POV

I watched in slight jealousy as all the girls hung over him. All the jocks wanted to be him. All the teachers adored him. Why? Well he's Levi Ackerman, of course. However, it wasn't always like this.

Levi and I used to be the best of friends. We told each other everything and were practically inseparable. We went through both good times and bad times together. We had each other's back, that is until tenth grade, however.

Levi had always had a lot of attention because of his looks and athletic abilities, but tenth grade in high school is when it started getting to his head. Day by day, he basked in all the attention and glory he was getting. He got it from the popular people, athletic people, snobby people, fake people, etc.

I tried to be happy for him gaining so many friends and I always made an effort to keep our friendship as it was, but it just didn't happen. I wasn't one of them. The popular, fake people. I guess I just wasn't worth his time anymore.

I still missed him, and I still longed to be best friends with him again, maybe even more. To be honest, I've had a little bit of a crush on Levi ever since I met him. It had gotten bigger over the years, but now it's barely anything.

I did gain some new friends, though. Their names were Eren, Mikasa and Armin. They were amazing people with their own amazing personalities. They were always there for me, even after two years of being torn apart from Levi.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" Eren came running over to me in the hallway. I snapped out of my trance and smiled at the trio.

"Hey, you guys." I said.

"We should be heading to first period, I heard Mrs. Wilson is giving us another project to do." Armin said.

"Again? But we're just about to graduate!" Eren whined. I chuckled and we walked on to homeroom.

"Thinking about him again?" Mikasa softly asked me, referring to my staring at Levi earlier.

"Yeah..." I said. "I just don't know what to do. I'm about to go off to college, I want to at least end on a good note with him. But I feel like he doesn't care. He just really hurt me, Mikasa."

"I know." She nodded. I sighed and sat in my assigned chair. Thankfully, all four of us were seated together. Levi and his fangirls walked in and sat in the back. This was our only class together. Normally as best friends, that'd be a bummer, but you know the story now.

The bell rang and our first class teacher, Mrs. Wilson, stood up from her desk. "Okay, for the next couple of weeks you are going to be paired up to do a project." She went on to explain all the details and that she had already picked our pairs. Great. She listed off the pairs, mine was the last one. "(Y/N) and Levi."

Wait what?! No no no no no no. "You may get started now." She said. My head hit the desk with a 'thud' and I groaned.

"It's only one project, I'm sure you'll be fine, (Y/N)." Armin tried to encourage me.

"Let me know if he does anything. I'll kick him where it hurts." Mikasa said.

"Mikasa, he's your cousin." She shrugged. I sat up and started getting my books out.

"Can I sit here, brat?" I heard from above me. Not needing to look to see who it was, I nodded. He sat down and opened up his computer.

"So this is what I was thinking." I told him my ideas, only saying what was necessary and avoiding eye contact. He nodded and began typing away. The class, of course, passed by slowly. The bell finally rang and I quickly put my books away.