Chapter 49: Killers

Two days later

I found the last Grimm in view. It was just a Beowulf, easy and pointless but every little bit counts. With a snap of my fingers bones pierce its body and collapse into dust. I sit down on a fallen tree and rub my eyes, exhausted. It didn't matter how many Grimm I kill, there were only weaklings left. The Grimm killed each other and those who were left were the really strong or the too weak to bother. The huntsman in the world killed all the strong ones leaving me the scraps. I haven't even reached one LV because of this. My fatigued body and tired mind were causing me to have second thoughts, I felt as if killing humans would be a more useful and effective solution. But I can't, I promised I wouldn't kill people anymore. I intend to uphold that promise, even if it kills me. I sighed and decided to call it a day. I was tired of the forest scenery and decided to return to civilization. What looks like the city, but not a lot of people, Vale was looking more empty. It didn't feel right. People were looking as if a ghost shit on then. I sighed pulling my hood over my head and walked along the streets. You would find more vehicles on the road when they were first invented, it felt off. A newspaper flew into my face, I took it off with an annoyed grunt and was about to toss it until the title catches my eye.

"Half of Atlas killed"

What? I read the article. The news said that the population of Atlas was going down, dropping by the digit the last few weeks that it began. Bodies littered the street and blood smeared the roads. Fortunately, the killings stopped but a trail was lead from city to village all the way ending in Vale. That would explain why the almost literally empty streets felt desolate. People were looking down shady as hell. Nobody looked at anybody and always had their eyes down. Now . . . I feel like there would be more joy at my old place. With a combination of exhaustion and being preoccupied with my thoughts, I bumped into someone. They hardly budged. I look to see a young girl standing in front of me, she looked at me with red eyes and rubs her forehead.

???: "Ow . . ."

(Y/N): "Oh, shoot I'm sorry! I haven't been sleeping well and I just got back from training! Are you okay?"

She looks up at me with her eyes, the way she looked at me was menacing and it sent a shiver down my back. It was when we made eye contact that it took her a few moments to look at me. Once she registers that I'm here, she had a blush on her face.

???: "O-oh? Oh! No worries! It's just everyone has been so rude and not looking where they are going. You did one of the two so I can forgive you!"

(Y/N): "Heh, I understand. Thanks!" I have to say, she was pretty adorable, a face that anyone could remember.

(Y/N): "So, what brings you in my neck of the woods? Oh where are my manners? I am The Skeleton, and you might be?"

Without even so much as a reaction, she does a gentle curtsy.

???: "Pleasure~ I am Chara, or Frisk if you prefer~"

I wasn't expecting this. Every person I have met has had some reaction, even Hulí. But this girl didn't so much as blink before she responded. I didn't know whether to chalk it up as ignorance or the lack of care. Either way, I was thrown off.