24. Coupling

|_Dylan_

"This is your last day here and you want to spend it with me rather than your son?" I question Raphael, seeing him shrug as he sat on the coffee table. He was before me as I pull my knees up to my chest to hide my expression.

"I mean, Arthur has been pretty adamant that I've come at the worst time. That I'm something he's been avoiding to be. Might as well spend the last day with someone who actually likes me."

I bite my lip, not wanting to admit yet that I liked him. Considering what we've done there's definitely something going on between the two of us. Not that I'd admit it...

"I'm just a random person. Besides, Arthur is just hurt. I'd be hurt if my father didn't appear in my life until someone found him. He didn't try to look for me; and you guys are doing good now. There's just...there was just an issue at hand."

Raphael just looks away from me, rubbing the back of his neck. Looking conflicted as if he didn't seem to get it.

"Was your father in your life?"

"Yeah? What kind of question is that? I already know what I did wrong and I can't take it back. Arthur doesn't have to forgive me. But at least I got to see him for the first time...after so long." Raphael mumbles aloud, but towards the end I don't think it was meant for me to hear.

I hide my face until you can only see my eyes, beginning to feel bad for him. I really don't think he should be here.

"Arthur needs you."

"So you say. But I've been pushed away for too long and I'm over it."

I put my knees down, going to him as I grab his hand and squeeze it in comfort.

"Just because he pushes you away doesn't mean he doesn't want you around. Maybe he just doesn't want to be hurt again. Usually when people push you away that's a cry that they need you the most." I state softly, making him look at me like I was making stuff up.

"Where'd you hear that bull from? If someone pushes you away they typically want you to leave them alone." He snaps at me, and I try not to snort.

"Not necessarily..."

He just continues to not believe me, looking all sullen and hurt. Which is completely new because this whole time he had on this front like nothing can hurt him. But now I see that he really wants to have something with Arthur.

"This makes me wish I could restart history and be given another chance. If I'd be given a chance, I wouldn't mess it up. I want to have a relationship with my son - all my kids. He literally looks like a younger version of me and the fact that I look at me but then I don't see me...he's opposite of me." Raphael looks at his hands that soon become fists.

"Then leave and go to him!" I snap in annoyance - not understanding his difficulty.

"But I also have a deep affection for you. I like you a lot and I want something with you..."

I lick my lips, letting go of his hand as I lean back into the couch. Yet when he comes up off the table and gets on his knees in front of me - he wraps his arms around my waist and looks up at me.

"You don't realize what you're saying. You're Arthur's father and-."

"I know what I am! I had a child at sixteen and because of it, I ran! Now he's twenty six and claims he doesn't want anything to do with me!" He cries, resting his head in my lap. "I like you and I want my son in my life as well. I want the both of you-."

"But you can't. I want you to be with Arthur."

"I want to be with the both of you..."

He lifts his head, looking at me sadly as I grin. Not sure what to say anymore. He already is being indecisive it seemed, but my heart ached.