4. Lessons

"Why are you and dad barely talking? Are you guys fighting?"

I look down at Ava, seeing her look at me with confusion as I shrug. Not sure if I should tell her our little problems. This was adult matters and I'm already not in the mood with Arthur.

We still sleep in the same bed and talk...when necessary. I found myself seeing that I in particular don't talk to him unless I have to. But these days, I felt like I've been protracted as the bad guy. For the longest time I've known in the past I was immature and horrible. But this is now and he's...I'm afraid everyone still sees me as the William who broke sweet Arthurs heart.

Yeah, I deserved it in the very beginning. But this is now and I'm annoyed of being seen in that light. It's like I can catch a break.

Like this whole surrogacy thing. I know Arthur went to talk to Talia about it because Bella called me and chewed me out. Saying I need to leave him be and let him do his thing first. That he's already stressed out enough being married to me.

One, that bitch needs to get a life. Two, instead of dealing with my problems she needs to handle hers. Then three, fuck off.

People like that have been pissing me off, acting like they know shit. They need to hear both sides and not just one. Arthur pissed me off doing that and making me look bad. I seem to always be seen like that and I'm over it... He's my husband, you're supposed to look past their negatives and love them despite everything...

"I wouldn't say fighting. More like a disagreement."

"About...?"

"Nosy much?" I growl, hoping she'd get the hint to leave me alone. But she just sat beside me and stared at me like I was some type of wild animal.

"Dad's been quiet and you've been snappy. I don't know...but you two seem to balance one another out and bring out the best. When you both are mad at one another you seem to both bring out the worst. You're mean and he's quiet and boring."

I just stare at her, knowing what she's getting at. She's trying to tell me that we both need to fix our problems to bring out the best.

"We aren't angry or mad though." I retort, having her laugh like she was a scientist awakening Frankenstein.

"I didn't say you were. Now I know you guys are fighting." She concludes, smiling and having me face forward in frustration." What's wrong?"

I shake my head, waving my hand at her to go away.

"This's adult stuff. Your little eight year old mind wouldn't get it-."

"I'm nine." She hissed, folding her arms in anger." Anyway, I'm smart for a nine year old. You can tell me."

I shake my head, annoyed that she kept badgering me and going on. Now I understand what my parents went through when I kept asking for things.

"Here's a hint, do you know what surrogacy is?"

"What-?"

"There's my hint." I end, standing as I walk away and hope she doesn't follow me. I'm just so...sad and disappointed and angry.

You ask for one thing...one!

Going upstairs, I go in our room, happening to see him sitting on the couch near the window. I don't even think he noticed I entered so I just walk to the dresser and grab my phone.

About to walk out I hear him slam his book closed, glancing at him as he folded his arms. Looking at me like I was some type of stranger he's never encountered.