Nationals Part 1

I looked at myself dead in the mirror

I looked at myself dead in the mirror. I turned to the side and saw the chub from my stomach sticking out where the skirt formed on the dress. I stood up straight and it disappeared. I hadn't gained back any of the weight I lost from being a Cheerio, but I still had some to spare. I then looked up at my face. My scar was noticable, but the discoloring of it was hidden by my makeup. I fixed my ponytail and looked at myself again. "I know it does not take you that long to look beautiful." I heard Finn say from the other side of the curtain. "I don't think I look right." I said back. "Come on out and let me take a look." I slid the curtain open and stepped out.

The beautiful smile quickly grew across his face as he looked me up and down. "Stop that." I grinned. "You, look, amazing." He said slowly. "Do you think so?" I asked, looking down at myself. "I know so. And you're gonna kill that solo." He wrapped his arm around my neck and walked with me out to the main area of the dressing room where everyone was. "I feel like everyone is gonna stare at my scar." I looked up at him. "Well, aren't they supposed to be looking at you anyway? I mean you're pretty smokin." He lifted his hands up in defense. "I'm more sad that you aren't competing." I sighed. "I am too, but it's okay. As long as I get to wear the outfit and see you guys win for us, I'm all good." He sat down. I went over to Santana and helped her hide the extensions in her ponytail.

"I gotta tell you, Finn and you are playing the longest game of 'come and get me' I've ever seen." She crossed her arms. I looked at Finn, who was chatting with the other glee boys. I turned back and focused on her hair. "I know. It sucks for me and him. But I'm just waiting for that moment to happen." I fixed it and sat at the makeup table next to her. "I thought it happened in February?" She cocked her head. "That was more of a donation kiss than a real one, but I count it because it was my first kiss." I looked down to my lap and turned red again. "You're lying." She smiled. "Nope." I shook my head. "You're missing out Camila. So much." She chuckled.

"The thing is, he doesn't know how to show his emotions. I do, but I'm scared." I leaned closer to her. "Why don't you make a move at Glee Camp?" She shrugged. "That's what everyone is saying, so I guess it'll happen then. But I'm so nervous I'm gonna fuck it up." I looked back at Finn and caught him looking at me. I smiled and turned back to her. "Relax, Auntie Snicks will be here to help." Santana rubbed my arm. Then, Sam came rushing through the door. "Guys, we have a serious problem." He seemed panicked. "What's going on?" Mr. Schuester rose from his seat. "Come see for yourself." He signaled. We all rushed to the back of the stage and there was another team performing. We made it to the side and my heart, stomach, and everything dropped to the ground. "Oh god." Rachel croaked.

At this competion, each team was allowed to have something added to their performance to spice it up, but it the 'something' could only occur during one song. And the team that was performing's 'something' was Christina Aguilera doing a duet with another team member.

"We are so dead." I whispered as I looked out at the crowd. Everyone was cheering and taking pictures, up on their feet and dancing along. As much as I was starstruck, this wasn't good. Our 'something' was a church choir to do backing vocals on my solo. I turned around and pushed past everyone and disappeared to the dressing room. I frantically paced back and forth with my hands on my head and my heart racing. "Oh my god this is terrible! Those people will be so bored with my solo because they have a celebrity and I dont." I began to shake and panic even more once Finn walked in the room. "Look, those people probably used her knowing they'll loose. They'll love your guy's originality." Finn tried calming me down as everyone got back to the room.

"Let's not give up now." Mr. Schuester sighed. We all sat in silence as we listened to the crowd roar with cheers and applause once they were done. Our lights began flashing and we all got up. We all formed a circle and held hands. "You guys have been working so hard for this, and I'm so proud. Please, worry about how you're doing, not what everyone else is doing. You guys are the best of the best. I love you all. Hands in." Mr. Schuester made sure he looked at everyone. We all put our hands in and chanted 'New Directions'. Then, all of us headed back to the back of the stage. "You're going to do amazing. Just relax, and let it flow out like you usually do." Finn stood in front of me. "Okay." I nodded. He hugged me tightly and said, "Good luck."

He then did the unthinkable and kissed my forehead, a long and soothing one. When he let go, he smiled at me. I watched him go out and exit and head to his seat in the crowd with Mr. Schuester. I held my arms to myself as I watched the team performing now finish their routine. They had Vegas show girls dancing around the stage with them, and crowd seemed a tiny bit interested. Once they finished, they walked past us and my heart picked up speed.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome our next contenders from Lima, Ohio, the New Directions!"

I walked out all by myself to the center spotlight. It became quiet as I adjusted the microphone and signaled the music to start playing.