Guitars and Fantasies

I waved goodbye to Aunt Julie before turning to his door. I walked up to the door and quietly knocked on it. Realizing it wasn't powerful enough I hit it a little harder.

As I did, the door open, but no one was there, or so I thought. "Sam! Your girlfriend is here!" The little boy shouted before running off. "She's not my girlfriend." Sam rolled his eyes. "Sorry about that." "No problem." I chuckled, walking in. He shut the door behind me and we headed deep into his house. I passed by pictures of Sam and his family as they stringed the halls. His little brother and sister would run by our feet occasionally until we got to a room, his room. There was a single wall dedicated to guitars. I admired them as he shut the door.

"Sorry." Sam sighed, sitting down in his computer chair. "About what?" I asked, sitting down on the edge of his bed. "I know it probably feels awkward in here, but this house is so small, it's the only way I can get time to myself." "Oh Sam, don't worry. It's all good." I shrugged. "So what made you want to learn guitar?" He asked, spinning around in his chair. "It's always interested me. But I really just want to do it for the assignment." "I'm glad you came to me. Everybody makes it out to seem like it's hard, but believe me, it's not." Sam explained, getting up and walking over to the guitar wall. "For me, I had to learn the sounds of the strings. Then, I just thought of a song and let my fingers figure it out. But of course I got my dad to help me and a few videos online." He grabbed 2 guitars, one granite and one solid black one.

He handed me the solid black one and sat in the seat again. "It looks so complicated though. I mean don't you also have to hold down the strings?" I asked, watching him reach into a jar on his desk and pull out 2 pics. He gave me one and pushed his hair back. "That's where knowing the tune comes in. You have to know what it sounds like with every tune. It takes a while." He adjusted the guitar on his lap as I set the guitar he gave me down on the bed. "Just watch me, then you'll get the general picture.

Sam then began to glide the pick across the strings. He nodded slowly to the sounds coming for the guitar before humming, then to singing.

Sam: Loving can hurt, loving can hurt sometimes. But it's the only thing that I know. When it gets hard, you know it can get hard sometimes. It is the only thing that makes us feel alive.

He stopped singing and looked up to me, but he kept strumming the chords. "See?" He smiled. I nodded as he started to sing more.

Sam: We keep this love in a photograph. We made these memories for ourselves. Where our eyes are never closing, hearts are never broken. Times forever frozen still.

"Now, pick up your guitar." He instructed me. I set it on my lap and adjusted it. "I want you to hold down the bottom string, and as you hold it down, slowly strum it." I did as so as he began again.

Sam: So you can keep me, inside the pocket, of your ripped jeans, holdin' me closer, 'til our eyes meet. You won't ever be alone.

Me strumming the guitar amplified the sound and made it glide easier to the chorus. I slowly began to start to strum the whole guitar and follow Sam's fingers and how he held the strings down on the neck of the guitar.

Both: And if you hurt me, that's OK, baby, only words bleed. Inside these pages you just hold me, and I won't ever let you go

Camila: Wait for me to come home

Sam: Wait for me to come home

Camila: Wait for me to come home

Sam: Wait for me to come home

"Holy crap." I chuckled, continuing to strum. "I told you." Sam snickered, mimicking a child. I rolled my eyes.

Sam: Oh you can fit me, inside the necklace you got when you were 16, next to your heartbeat. Where I should be. Keep it deep within your soul.

Camila: And if you hurt me, that's OK, baby, only words bleed. Inside these pages you just hold me, and I won't ever let you go.

Sam: When I'm away. I will remember how you kissed me, under the lamppost, back on 6th street, hearing you whisper through the phone.

Both: Wait for me to come home.

"That was amazing." I slowly said, falling into a small giggle. "I know! You did great!" He held his hands up some. "Now we have to learn that song you want play with me in Glee Club." Sam leaned back in his chair, plucking the strings of his guitar. I stared around his room and came across a corkboard. After scanning through his personal pictures, I came across the one of the Glee Club after sectionals in November. I looked through and stopped on Rachel and Finn holding each other. I felt my heart sink before turning back to Sam, who was flicking the pic up in the air and catching it.

"How were Rachel and Finn before they got together?" I asked. It seemed like my whole life was revolved around the almighty Finchel; well only now it's just Finn and Rachel...

"In freshman year, she was the nicest person ever. She'd bring stars every Monday and put them on lockers to give everyone a boost of confidence for the week. Then when Kurt went through a faze of gagging over Finn, Rachel met him. She fell in love, but it took Finn time. She calls it a fairy tale because it's the truth." He picks up his hacky-sack and throws it up, rhythmically catching it afterwards. "What do you mean?" I ask, leaning onto the guitar. "She wanted them to be together ao badly and eventually get married. She wanted to wear his football jersey every Friday and be dip kissed every once in a while. That girly mushy gushy stuff. Finn wanted to be able to come to her in their own house to her cooking dinner and watch her become a big star. I and Quinn warned them that it was just a fantasy, but they were so caught up in it they never considered the warnings. When they made it official, Rachel stopped giving out stars and Finn would always miss football practice to go sing with her somewhere."

"I feel like it's my fault though. We always hang out and are so close. When I met him he just made me feel comfortable. Everyone else took time though. " I looked down to my jeans, picking off a piece of lint.

"It's not your fault. I guess Finn is realizing what and who he wants." Sam smiled, turning and getting up. "Wait, what?" I asked, slowly getting up.