Rattled

It was chilly outside

It was chilly outside. Snow quietly fell on the ground, for it would be the last time it fell from the sky since February is coming to a close.

I walked into the Lima Bean and found Finn sitting down at the table that had small couches for seats. I walked over and smiled. "I'm surprised you're here earlier than me." "Now, we're talking about free coffee here. I cant pass that up. And plus someone made me cancel my reservations." He chuckled as I took off my jacket. I rolled my eyes and set it down on the seat along with my backpack. I took out my wallet and set it on the table. The waiter came over and took our order, Finn ordering a hot french vanilla chai, me a simple hot chocolate with extra whip cream. "See, a coffee date isn't bad now, is it?" I asked. He jumped a little when I said 'date'. "I mean, not a date, just a little outing." I corrected myself. He stayed silent for a little bit. I felt terrible, so I pulled out my phone.

It stayed quiet until our coffees came. I handed the waiter the money with tip included. I silently sipped my hot chocolate as Finn also was on his phone. "So, did you ever get that car done?" It seemed like I always had to break the silence. "Yeah, the guy was happy and Burt is giving the boys and myself a nice raise. Maybe I can get my truck fixed up with the extra cash." He smiled. "But I like that truck!" I wined, pouting my lip. "I know, and I do too, but change is good, right?" Finn raised and eyebrow. We klinked our cups together before taking another sip.

All of the sudden, I watched the glass windows shatter and fall to the ground, raining over the window seated people as a popping sound filled our ears. I dropped my drink on the table as Finn turned around. Everyone got up and began to panic. "What the hell." I began to shake as me and Finn started to gather our belongings. The popping sound started ringing again, and everyone dropped to the ground. Finn pulled me with him to the ground and under the table. I felt myself start to have a quick panic attack as confusion was circling my mimd. Finn covered my mouth with his hand and leaned me into his chest. I looked through the crook of his arm and saw three guys walking around, two with guns I'd never seen before and one approaching the counter. He had a trash bag and was screaming. The other two started grabbing people and holding knives to their throats. I grabbed Finn's arm to quit shaking as they yelled at people.

"No one is leaving this fucking joint until I have all their money and phones!" One growled. Me and Finn stayed under the table till I felt him lean me back up straight. He pointed to the both of us, then to the staff room entry way that was a few feet away from us. I nodded and bit my tongue to try to hide my sobs. We both got on our hands and knees and began to quietly crawl under tables and around chairs when they weren't looking. I jumped as I heard a gunshot, thinking me or Finn had been hit. I looked around and saw someone slump to the ground, followed by other people's cry out in disturbance. We finally made it to the entry way and we both got up behind it and started running up the stairs and into a storage room. Finn shut and locked the doors, then barricating it with a file cabnit. I let out my cries and Finn came over and bent down to my height. He grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eyes. "We're gonna be okay Camila, I promise." He reasured me as I sobbed into my hands. He pulled me into his chest and held me until he let go. I looked to him and saw tears in his eyes too. I'd never seen him so terrified before in my life.

He walked over to some doors and started opening them, only them being more storage closets. He mummbled curses under his breathe and turned back to me. "We'll just wait it out okay? My phone is downstairs on the seat." I paced around and covered my mouth, tears forming in my eyes. I listened to people downstairs cry out in agony and gun shots keep going off. I held myself and kept looking to Finn, who was standing next to some crates with his arms crossed, his body shivering with his tears dripping down his chin. "I want to go home." I mumbled, my teeth chattering thinking about today being my last.

I then heard pat sounds from outside the door. I looked at Finn and he walked up to me. I covered my ears as shells from bullets started hitting the knob, finally breaking it off. Finn grabbed me and pulled me into one of the closets, shutting the door and keeping the light off. I listened to someone barge the other door open, turn the light on, and start walking around. Finn held me to his chest again, rocking me back and forth. I kept holding my breathe so my wimpers didn't accidently come out. "I know you two are in one of these damn rooms! Think you'd get away without a problem?" A dark voice came outside the door. Then, silence.....

Finn slowly let go of me and took a step back, me then stepping a little sideways to regain my balance. I could barely see Finn, but I knew he was behind me to the left a bit. I clenched my fists and bit my tongue once again, keeping my breathe to a minimum. I could still feel my legs going nuts like a washing machine under me. I turned around to look at Finn, and a gunshot rang my ears and interrupted the long, aching silence. A stinging sensation filled my cheek. I grabbed it and felt blood start dripping from it. The lights then mysteriously flickered all the away. I gritted my teeth in pain and looked at my blood stained fingers before looking back at Finn.

He was shot in the middle of the chest.

"Finn?" I croaked. He stared blankly at me until I started to see him wobble. I screamed out and ran over to him, pushing my arms under his armpits. His heaviness brought me down with him, but I was able to prop him against the wall.  I pushed a box in front of us as the shooter started firing more bullets through the door. I heard his gun click, signaling he was out of bullets. I heard him leave with a long groan. I then took off my jacket and held it to his chest, which had turned into a blood field. "STOP!" I screamed in horror as I watched my jacket fill up with blood. I pressed everything I had in my body against the hole formed in his chest and looked at Finn, who was zoned out into space. I grabbed his chin and made him look at me. "FINN PLEASE. LOOK AT ME." I cried as my heart shattered. His eyes fixed on me as his mouth began to fill with blood. "IT'S GONNA BE OKAY I PROMISE JUST PLEASE DON'T GO." I sobbed, shaking so bad that he was shaking too from my grip.. My arms and hands were stained with his and my blood. He coughed it up and kept his gaze on me, not saying a word. I looked down at my shirt, which had blood stains everywhere, like I had shot him myself. His breathing became harder as I broke down even more, feeling my heart fall to the pit of my stomach.

Instead of me loosing him to Quinn, I was gonna loose him to the bullet.