Chapter Forty Four

Tomorrow, we would be leaving.

I had spent every minute of my freetime with Gaara. At first, I wondered when and where we would meet, but Gaara took care of that.

I yawned, stretching as I made my way out of the building. It had been another boring day. I shivered slightly as I remembered the events of last night. I blink as I step out into the sunlight, my eyes adjusting quickly.

I look up, feeling someone's gaze on me. My eyes lit up with happiness as I see Gaara waiting in the shadows for me. Erai follows my gaze and spots Gaara. She nods to me, a slight smile on her face. We had grown closer since my ordeal.

I run to Gaara, a small smile on my face. I make her smile, I heard him think. I stopped in front of him. "You waited for me?" I asked.

Gaara nods. "Can I get a smile with that?" I ask. A small but genuine smile reaches his face, and he turns, beckoning me to follow him.

I smile as I remember. I've told him everything about me, from my mind reading to Orochimaru's experiments. A pang of sadness hits my heart as I realize I would be leaving tomorrow morning. It was nighttime now. I felt my stomach drop as I thought of saying goodbye to Gaara. I would miss him.

But why was I feeling so strongly about this? He was my friend, yes, but I would feel so... regretful, leaving him. Almost like... I had missed out.

I take my songbook out with a sigh. This was one way I could always sort out my feelings. I know Gaara wouldn't be here for another hour. He was spending time with his siblings. About forty five minutes pass, and I finish the song.

Here, my dear 

This is where 

We'll shake the nightmare free

I dream to hold you in my arms 

To hold you in my arms 

Wide awake, in my arms

I think I figured it out 

We need to be together 

Like the shore and the sea

We are not one thing 

We're drawn here together 

My ocean and me

I dream to hold you in my arms 

To hold you in my arms 

Wide awake in my arms

Love, we sleep apart 

For the last time 

For the last time

I dream to hold you in my arms 

To hold you in my arms 

Wide awake in my arms

Was this true? Did I... love Gaara?

"Is that how you really feel?" Ayumu walks towards me.

I turn back, looking up at the stars. "I always write exactly what I mean," I answer, coming to that conclusion mysellf.

He sits close next to me. I shift, slightly uncomfortable. "I mean, I know I'm almost sixteen, but, I think I..."