Chapter Twenty Four

The next day, we left Naruto at home. He had exhausted his supply of chakra, and needed the extra rest. Me? I was feeling extremely well rested. I slept for a solid four hours. Four hours! Of course, I was woken by nightmares of abandonment, being chased, hurt, fear… but it was the best sleep I had gotten in… years.

We were just about to leave. “Okay. I leave Naruto in your hands. He’s pushed his body to the limit. Overdoing it, as usual. So he may not be able to move today at all.” Kakashi informed Tsunami. But knowing the regenerative ability of the nine tails… He thought.

“What about you? You’re still recovering yourself!” Tsunami worries.

“Why, do I look wobbly? I’ll be okay.”

“Come on,” Tazuna interrupted. “Let’s go.” We turned and left as a whole, leaving Tsunami to gaze after us in worry. We arrived at the bridge. “Hold on, what the heck is this?”

I tilted my head. “It appears to be men, Tazuna-san. Some injured, some dead.” I replied. He shot me a dirty look.

“What happened?” He rephrased. I felt it would be wiser to remain silent. “Someone was here, someone got to them!”

Could it be? Kakashi thought. Mist started to trickle around us, covering the bridge. This mist… “Sasuke, Sakura, Keira, get ready!” Kakashi commanded. I leapt in front of Tazuna, Sakura to my right, Sasuke to my left, and Kakashi behind Tazuna.

They all readied Kunai, while I pulled out my twin daggers. They would hold up better against a sword. I knew he was alive… he just couldn’t wait for round two. Kakashi thought, making a hand sign. “Kakashi-sensei, it’s Zabuza, isn’t it? It’s his hidden mist jutsu!” Sakura asked.

Sasuke started trembling. I could sense the excitement and adrenaline coursing through him. “Sorry to keep you waiting, Kakashi. I see you’ve still got those brats with you. That one is still trembling… pitiful.” Oh, you’ve done it now, Zabuza. Never insult an Uchiha.

Several Zabuza water clones surrounded us. “Hn.” Sasuke smirked. “I’m trembling with… excitement!” He declared.

“Go on, Sasuke.” Kakashi gave him permission. Dang, I wanted to destroy something. Zabuza’s bloodlust was getting me worked up. I was itching to kill something. Sasuke sped around all the water clones, destroying them in an instant. Lucky.

I can see it! Sasuke thought. Uchiha… I thought slowly. He’s seeing better. Is his Sharingan developing!?! “Ooh, so you could see they were water clones, huh?” Uh, yeah. There were like, six of you. How could they not be clones? “The brat’s improving. Looks like you’ve got a rival, Haku.”

I saw the boy in the mask next to Zabuza, obviously his ally. “So it seems.” He replied calmly, quietly. I grinned. Time to start the real fight. One of us will die here… and it won’t be me or my comrades!

“Well, well. So I had it right. It was all an act.” Kakashi says slowly.

“An act?” Tazuna acts, ruining the moment.

“With that cute little mask.” Kakashi continues.

“Whaa?” Sakura shrieks, dumbfounded.

“Fake phony.” Sasuke mutter. “Heh.”

“So I guess all that about being a tracker nin protecting his village was a bunch of bull.” Tazuna accuses.

“They looked pretty chummy to me. I’d say they’ve been pulling scams like that for a long time.” Kakashi clenches his fist.