Chapter Sixteen

We were in a boat, the moter off, trying to remain as silent as possible. I had my fingers trailing in the water. "This fog is so thick," Sakura whispered, "You can't see anything."

"Neither can an enemy," I murmured. I had a pretty good layout of this entire area, mapped out in my mind from the echos of noise, vibrations in the stream, smell and currents of the air. "Be glad for the cover of this mist."

Naruto was at the front of the boat. He had seen me delicately sniffing the air one time, and now he was constantly smelling the air, acting like he was doing something. 

"The bridge isn't far now," The rower said. I never caught his name... or he never said it. "Our destiination is just ahead. The land of waves." 

Naruto peered ahead. "Woah! It's huge!" He shouted. I sprang at him, not tilting the boat even slightly by my movement, and slapped a hand over his mouth.

"Silence..." I hiss in his ear, "Or I will tie your hands behind you and gag you so you can't make any noise. Understand?" He nodded quickly, and I carefully let go. The moment I let go he wrapped his own hands around his mouth. I sat back down.

"I told you no noise!" The rower reprimended, "Why do you think we're travelling like this, huh? Cutting of the engine and rowing, moving through the dense fog? So they don't see us!"

Kakashi interrogates Tazuna, who explains about Gato and his men. He then guilt traps us into guarding him. It had no effect on me whatsover, but the rest of the team seemed totally swayed.

"We're approaching the shore," The rower informed us, "Tazuna, we've been very fortunate. No one has noticed us so far.

"Nice job," Tazuna thanked. We go through some sort of tunnel, and when we reach the other side, the mist seems to have mysteriously dissapeared. The sun is out and the waters are more of a blue, not gray.

Even though I can see now, I leave my fingers in the water. This way I can sense someone approaching even if I'm not looking. Naruto has a look of amazement on his face as he looks around. 

We arrive on shore. Sasuke, Sakura, and Naruto seem slightly wobbly from the long trip, but I stand with perfect balance. "This is as far as I go." The rower says. Well, duh. You weren't planning on rowing that boat on dry land, were you? "Good luck." He says, then leaves.

"Alright, take me to my hime, and I mean get me there in one piece." He said.

I smile sadistically. "Oh, that's to bad. I was planning on chopping you into little pieces and carrying you home in a bag, then reassembling you there. Shoot, to bad you said something." Tazuna pales, and Kakashi hits me upside the head. 

"I almost like it better when you didn't talk." He said dryly. I frown and go silent. Oh.

As we are walking, I listen in on Kakashi's thoughts. The next ninja they send one be chunin. They'll be jonin, elite ninja with deadly skills. I frown and raise my guard, becoming hyperaware of my surroundings.

I'm not letting Sasuke get all the glory this time, believe it. Naruto runs ahead and looks all around, trying to find an excuse to raise the alarm. "Over there!" He callsout, throwing a Kunai. Everyone widened their eyes, crying out in shock. I remained indifferent. I sensed no thoughts, heard no heartbeat, and smelled no difference in the air. Except for a tiny mouse heartbeat.

"Hm. It was just a mouse." he said indifferently.

"Mouse?!? Yeah right! Your so obvious it's embarrasing!" Sakura accused.

"Naruto, those are kunai knives! They're very dangerous!" Kakashi kectured.

"Hn." Sasuke turned his head away.