Chapter Six

I decided which village to stay at next. Konoha, the village of second chances. Sounded like just the place for a girl like me. As I traveled, I practiced flying. I was slowly progressing. I began to imitate the sounds of the animals around me, finding that I was quite good at it. I wonder if I could do a human voice.

I opened my mouth, trying to get Gaara's voice. "We're friends, Kiko-chan." I captured his raspy voice perfectly. I shuddered. To perfectly. It brought back the pain in a rush.

Days passed as I practiced throwing my voice, target training, and flying. Throwing my voice and mimicking voices came easily. Probably because my voice was strong from singing.

On the fourth day, I arrived at Konoha. I tried to get in with the same old ball trick, but it didn't work. "Look, kid, we can't let you back into the village. You could be some rogue ninja disguised as a kid!" One with a bandage across his nose explained. 

I pouted. "But I'm noooooooot," I whine, "I don't even know one jutsu. I'm not a ninja!"

"Then why do you have a weapons pouch on your leg?" One with hair over his eyes pointed out. 

I internally frown, but keep the bright, fake smile on my face. "I was playing ninja with my friends. That's what I wanna be when I grow up!"

KAWAII! I heard, though neither of them opened their mouths. But it sounded just like them... I put a hand on my head, shaking it slightly. I am going so crazy. This is what happens when you're on your own to long. You start hearing voices in your head.

"Look, how about we ask you some questions about the village that only a villager would know. If you answer them right, we'll let you through."

"Great idea, Izumo!" The other complimented.

Thanks, Kotetsu!" Izumo said.

Izumo leaned closer, hands the desk. "Okay, first question. Who is our current Hokage?"

Suddenly, Kotetsu's voice rang in my head. Even though we had four Hokage's, Lord Third is the current Hokage.

I closed my eyes for a second. I really am going crazy. But what the heck, I had nothing to lose, so... "We've had four Hokage's but right now it's the Third who holds the position of Hokage."

"What's his name?" Kotetsu asked.

This time, it was Izumo who I heard. Hiruzen Sarutobi. But I answered, "I always thought his name was Lord Third Hokage...?" I trailed off, as though I was confused. They both laughed at me.

"Alright, name somebody from this village. I heard several answers from both Izumo and Kotetsu's voices in my head, but would I, a child, know them? Instead, I just went with the most common name in my head. "Eiko."

"Who's she?" They both asked. Dammit! 

"She's, uh... Eiko."

Never heard of her before. That's Kotetsu's voice.

This girl is obviously lying about this "Eiko" character. Izumo's voice. Am I... reading their minds?

I sigh. "Okay, okay, you guys caught me." They were immediately on guard. "Not like that! I'm not a ninja, and I am five years old. But you're right, I don't belong in this village."

They shared a look. To think we were considering to let her into the village.

"I don't have a home, and I'm an orphan. I just wanted to start over here, get a new life. I usually don't stay in villages very long, but I wanted to stay in this one for at least a couple of years. And I do want to be a ninja."