Chapter Thirty Eight

I couldn't believe it. He was... He was my Gaa-kun.... Tears begin to stream down my face, one after another after another.

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" I shriek.

He roars at me, "I AM THE PREDATOR AND YOU ARE MY PREY!"

"What did you do to Keira-chan?" Naruto asks desperately, "I've never ever ever seen her cry, even when she's all beat up, bleeding, on the verge of death! So what did you do to make her cry!?!"

"Just drop it, and help me stop him," I growl to Naruto, wiping my tears away furtively. The sand tightens around Sakura. "Naruto, I'm going to try and control his mind--"

"YOU CAN CONTROL MINDS?!?"

"Yes. So you attack him and protect me," I order, then sit down and try and get into Gaara's mind. I'm pushed back immediately by a tidal wave of pain and anger. I open my eyes to see Naruto poking Gaara in the butt with a kunai.

"How's the mind control going?" Naruto asks nervously.

"Umm..." I glance at Gaara, "Not so well. What I'm going to do next is sing to try and soothe his mind and distract him so I can gain access to his mind. YOU don't get distracted by my singing, okay?" I ask.

"Er... Don't get distracted... by your beautiful singing... got it," He muttered.

I close my tuning out the battle. I begin to sing, making it up as I go, lacing chakra through my voice.

"Innocence Again"

Do you remember when
You were way back then
You held the world inside your hands
When you told me love
Was the strongest stuff
Your strength was innocence

 He falters slightly, but begins attacking again. I insert more chakra into my voice, eyes closed tightly.

But, oh man
The signs of the time are omens
You're starting the day in
No man's land again

 Who are you gonna be?
When you're on your knees, who do you believe?
Fear is lonely man
You've been given innocence
You've been given innocence again

You should know by now
That the darkest hour
Is when your broken heart goes down
It's a bitter end
When the sweet begins
Grace is sufficiency

But, oh dear we'll never deserve it
No dear, we never could earn it
Now, here the choice is yours 

Who are you gonna be?
When you're on your knees, who do you believe?
Fear is lonely man
You've been given innocence
You've been given innocence again 

I'm aware of loud noises, roars and earth quaking booms. But I keep singing. I just kept singing. 

Grace is high and low (3x)
We'll never be the same

Who are you gonna be?
When you're on your knees, who do you believe?
Fear is lonely man
You've been given innocence
Innocence 

You've been given inncocence, innocence, innocence
Who are you gonna be?
Yeah, who are you gonna be
Yeah, who are you gonna be?

You've been given innocence

I finish the song just as everything goes quiet. I catch Sakura as the sand around her loosens, and set her next to Sasuke. Then I jump in the air and fly over to Naruto and Gaara. 

I appear just in time to hear Gaara. "But why? Why would you do this for anyone but yourself?" Gaara asked.

"Because they saved me from myself..." Naruto whispered. "They rescued me from my loneliness, they were the first to accept me for who I am. They're my friends," I walk up to Naruto and place a hand on his shoulder.