Chapter Four

I wasn't angry at Gaara. 

I was dissapointed, but really, I was pushing my luck, arguing with him like that. I didn't think he would hurt me, though. I guess I was slightly... shocked by his sctions, even though I knew that there was a possibility he would react that way.

I was currently wandering the busy streets, people giving me wide berth. There were two reasons for that. One: I was an outsider. Two: I hung out with Gaara. I heard the whispers, the hate, the rumors.

"Look at her. Freak."

"She's the one--?"

"Yeah, she hangs out with the monster, Gaara."

"She must be a monster as well."

It hurt, but I didn't care. Okay, that was a total lie. I did care. Because it hurt. Maybe I shouldn't care what people think of me, but I do. I really do. I know I should leave, but I wanted to see Gaara again. And my ankle wasn't normal yet. 

I didn't know if Gaara would come to me. I had come to really care for him. He told me I could trust him with anything. I'm not sure I can. He cares about me. He hurt me. He obviously regretted hurting me, but he hasn't apologized yet, and two days have passed since our fight.

I frowned. Why did life have to be so complicated? I sat down on a bench. My childhood had been stolen from me. I don't even remember much. My earliest memory was when I was three, maybe four, and I asked the woman for help and she refused.

I wanted to protect Gaara's innocence, his childhood, to give him a friend he could trust. But I was afraid that I was to late.

I looked up as I heard the shrieks of joy from children. They were playing a soccer game. How I longed to join them. Then one of them got the ball stuck on top of the wall. They all started complaining, when the ball began to float down.

Gaara stood there, holding the ball. "Uh.... C-could I maybe... play, too?" He asked, so vulnerable and hesitant. All the children ran away in fear, leaving a hurt Gaara in the dust. "No, wait!" He shouted, reaching towards them. The sand followed his will, grabbing two of the children.

With my advanced hearing, I heard him murmur, "Don't leave me alone. I don't want to be lonely anymore." A flash of blood lust appeared in his eyes, and he prepared to kill the children. I was by his side in a flash. 

"No, Gaara." I murmured, hand on his shoulder. "You aren't alone anymore. You have  me." I doubled over in inner pain, clutching his head. 

"The demon..." he panted, "Shukaku, he won't let me..." He suddenly straightened, his sand shooting towards the children. I watched, expecting to see it pierce through them. But Yashamaru blocked the sand, which cut his face and arms. 

"Gaara! Stop it! This isn't you!" He shouted. Gaara still seemed to be in pain, and the children were still captured in the sand, so I did the only thing I could think of. 

I hugged him.

I pressed his head to my chest and held him tight. I held him even when he tried to push away, when he went limp in my grasp, and when he began to hug back. I slowly lowered us to the ground so we were sitting, still hugging. 

We finally pulled away, tears still streaming down his face, but slowing. down. I look him in the eye, do a closed eyed smile, and said, "I'm taller than you, Gaa-kun."

He giggled softly, and I saw the sand release the children, who ran away. "Really?" He asked, the tears obvious in his voice. I stood up, and he stood with me. I measured with my hand, showing him that I was at least two inches taller.

"Yup." I replied. Yashamaru walked up.

"Let's go home." He said to Gaara.

"Are you coming, Kiko-chan?" Gaara asked in a small voice. I glanced at Yashamaru for permission, who nodded. 

"Yeah, Gaa-kun. I am." We arrived home, and Yashamaru went to bandage his wounds, I ate some rice balls while Gaara went upstairs. I finished my rice and looked for Gaara upstairs. He was attempting to stab his hand with a knife. 

"Gaa-kun, please don't," I whispered from the doorway. He turned to me, startled.

"It doesn't matter. The sand stops it anyways." He replied. 

I looked at him sadly. "Let me show you something." I murmured quietly. He walked over, and I raised my left sleeve. He gasped. Cuts lined my left arm, some deep, some barely scratches. Some healed over, some fresh and oozing. 

"What happened?" He asked in horror.

I looked at him calmly. "Be glad you have your sand to stop you. We don't all have that privilege." I replied, allowing him to connect the dots. 

"You do this? To yourself? Why?" He asked.

"Because..." I explain slowly, "I would rather feel the bite of the knifee in my skin, then feel this pain, this emptiness in my heart." I replied. I slowly lowered my sleeve. "I have one other thing for you." I said lowly. I would have to leave soon. And I wanted to show Gaara my secret, my wings, Show him that I trusted him. "Come outside with me?"

We go to the roof, and I stand on the edge. It was around 8:00, the sun just setting in the desert. I stand on the very edge of the building. "Be careful, Kiko-chan." Gaara worries. I turn and smile at him, then flip myself backwards off the building.

For a moment, all I hear is the wind rushing through my hair, and Gaara's shout. Then I snap my wings open, push down hard, and land on the side of the building. I grin at Gaara's shocked face, Stretching my wings out to their full six feet.

"Y-you're an angel." Gaara states in wondered shock.

I shook my head, closing my wings. "Just a freak," I disagree. I reach over my back and pluck one of my feathers. OW. I held out the sandy brown feather to him, and he took it. "Keep it for me. It'll keep you safe, and remind you of me, ne?"

Gaara nodded, and tucked the feather in his shawl. "If you ever need ANYHING, come to this roof top, and knock on the window we climbed out. Okay?" I nodded. He held out his hand, and some sand gathered in it. He clenched his hand, and the sand created a perfectly smooth, round ball, like a marble.

He handed it to me. "And you keep this. Whenever I'm close I'll feel that part of my sand is with you." 

I slowly took it. "I better go for now, Gaa-kun. I'll see you around, alright?"

He nodded. "You take care of yourself. Kiko-chan."

"I will." I flipped of the building, opening my wings to slow my descent. I trusted that boy with absolutely everything. But I still didn't trust him with my name. That was my safety net, my get out of jail free card, my second chance. No one could hunt me down, if they didn't know my name.

He knew my deepest secret. He knew about my wings. And my cuts. He knew so much. I trusted him with so much.

And yet he didn't know something as simple as my name.

But it somehow didn't sit right with me that he knew so much about me, yet at the same time, knew absolutely nothing.

___________________________________________

Man, I am spitting these chapters out like clockwork. She told him she has wings! BUt he doesn't know her name :O 

Ah well. Comment? If anybodies even reading this, that is. Tell me what I'm doing wrong. Or right! See you around!

Comment! Vote!

Bye!

gaara119