Chapter Forty Three

We were to begin negotiations today. We got one day of rest, and Erai kept us inside going over orders and how to behave. My orders? To be seen and not heard. To only be a pair of eyes watching the proceeding. She told me that no matter what happens, I was to not interfere.

We had to look good, so I found myself wearing a kimono. I actually liked it a lot. I never got the chance to dress nice, and it felt good. I would be able to easily fight in this, if need be. The only weapon on my Body was my twin daggers.

My twin daggers were my only "decorative" weapon I own. I felt naked with so few weapons. But I still had my jutsu, and my two fists.

I was walking down the street, slightly behind the group. Ayumu dropped back beside me. "You look very nice," he complimented.

I had been scanning the streets for Gaara. I had hoped to see him yesterday, but Erai kept us inside. "Uh, thanks," I mutter, "so do you," I return the compliment.

"Thanks," he gives me a close eyed smile. "So, are you going to try for Chunin next year?" He asked.

"Yeah," I tilt my head towards him, "I'm pretty disappointed. I wanted to be one this year," I admit.

"What are you, twelve?" He asks, "you have plenty of time. I'm fifteen, well soon to be sixteen, and a jon in. You'll catch up to me in no time, I bet," he assured me.

"Yeah, I'm twelve," I think I am, anyway. "And thanks. That means a lot,"

We arrive at the building and walk inside. Erai sits me in a corner, away from the table. How insulting.  

Everyone enters, and I listen to the proceedings closely. After about two hours I get bored, and begin to study everyone here. I stiffen slightly in surprise as I see Kankuro and Temari. I catch Temari's eye, and a small smile breaks across her face.

I wave, and mouth, "what are you doing here?" Kankuro notices me and looks towards Temari in confusion. They're so lucky, seated at the actual table. Temari explains who I am to Kankuro, who nods thankfully to me.

I mouth then mouth the question again. Kankuro's eyes light up in realization. "Kazekage's children," he mouths back. I look around the table for Gaara. Temari catches my eye and shakes her head. My eyes sadden with understanding.

He still isn't accepted. Poor Gaara. It will be hard to convince everybody he's changed. "Okay! That's enough for today!" Someone says. My head snaps up and I follow them outside.

"Erai-San, Do you mind if I look around the Village some? I won't cause any problems," I ask.

"I suppose you can," she said.

I smiled. "Arigato, Erai-San," I thanked. I traveled down well remembered paths, Finally reaching my destination. I look at the familiar doors memories flashing through my head. I hesitantly knock.

Temari opens the door. "Oh! Hello, Keira-san!" She greeted, "I suppose you'd like to see Gaara?" She assumed.

"Yes," I admitted.

"One moment, please," she requested, partially closing the door. I hear her walking throughout the house, pausing as she raps on doors. She comes back to the door. "That's strange. I thought he was in... Maybe he just went outside... I'll tell him you were calling on him," she smiles.

"Arigato," I thank, even though I'm disappointed. I turn, beginning to walk away.

"Hey, Keira-san, do you want to go down and get lunch sometime?" She asked. I looked up, a hesitant smile reaching my face.

"I'd like that... Temari-chan," I agree.

A grin stretches across her face, "See you soon, Keira-chan!" She calls to my retreating figure.