Chapter Forty

I couldn't stay in Konoha anymore.

No, no, I wasn't running away. I just.... wanted to escape the sadness of the place. So I had asked for a mission outside of Konoha. The elders were currently giving out missions in the Hokage's stead. I looked up at a circling hawk.

The hawk slowly drifts down to me, a scroll in it's talons. I hold my hand out, and the bird drops the scroll into my hand. I open it quickly.

It reads:

"Keira Boukyaku. We have recieved your request for a mission, preferably outside of Konoha. We have added you to the team that is going to Sunagakure. This team is traveling to Sunagakure to create a treaty with the Land of Wind. As such a highly exceptional young genin, we have decided that you are to go along and watch the proceedings. Do as your team leader says. This will be a good way to test your development while you learn from it.

The mission will last for approximately two weeks. You leave tomorrow at five a.m 

Signed,

Homura Mitokado

Koharu Utatane"

I slip the scroll in my pouch, then jump towards my apartment. I better get packing, seeing as it's eight at night right now. I packed quickly, fitting everything into a single bag. Then I went to Naruto to tell him about my mission.

I knock on his door. "Hey Keira," He yawkned. I smiled.

"How are you, Naruto-kun?" I asked. He frowned.

"Ah, c'mon Keira! I told you just call me Naruto! We're best friends after all!" He insisted. I smiled.

"Okay, Naruto. I just want you to know, I'm going on a mission to Sunagakure. It's going to last maybe two weeks," I told him. He grinned.

"Cool! Be careful over there, okay?" He asked. I nodded my agreement.

"C'mon Naruto. I gotta tell Sakura-chan and Sasuke-kun as well. Will you come?"

"Yeah, of course! Let's go!" He shouted. I smiled again. I seemed to always do that around Naruto. Smile, I mean. 

We walked to Sakura's house, and I reported the samed thing to her. She, of course, agreed to come to Sasuke's house with us. 

Sasuke nodded as he heard the news. "Hn," He muttered. "So why is everyone here? You couldn't have just told each of us yourself?" He asked. 

"Uh, well, there's another thing I want to tell you guys. Follow me," I order, turning and walking away. I feel them come after me. I make my way to the top of the Hokage faces.

"So, whatcha want to tell us?" Naruto asked. 

"Uh, well, show, really...." I mutter. 

"So, what do you want to show us?" Naruto corrected himself impatiently. I laugh lightly, then try to jump off the side of the cliff. But someone grabs my arm.

I look up. "Kakashi-sensei," I say in surprise.

"Look, Keira, I know you've been sad about the Hokage's death and all," I interrupt him with a laugh, break his grip, and throw myself over the edge. I hear Sakura screech, and Naruto shout, and Sasuke's sudden intake of breath.

I laugh giddily, feeling the air rush past me. Naruto and Sasuke were being stupid, really. They both have seen my wings. They should know I could fly as well. Duh. I open my wings, pushing them through the slits in my clothing. See, I thought ahead. No ruined clothes for me! Just nice neat cuts in the back.