Chapter Twenty Three

Sakura and I were waiting for Sasuke and Naruto to return home. Tsunami set plates on the table as I helped her. Sakura sighed. “Now they’re both late.” She complained. “I wouldn’t have expected that from Sasuke-kun…” I shot her a look, and she stiffened and nodded.

We heard the door open, and Sasuke and Naruto appear in the doorway. Sasuke is supporting Naruto, and they slowly limp through the doorway. “What have you been up to? Tazuna asks. “You look like something the cat dragged in.”

“Heh.” Naruto smiles, “We both made it. We climbed all the way to the top.”

“Good.” Kakashi states, “Now we move on. Starting tomorrow, you’re both bodyguards for Tazuna.”

“Alright!” Naruto exclaims, attempting to fist pump. He unbalances them both, causing Naruto and Sasuke to fall down.  I sense Sakura about to get up and fawn over Sasuke, but then she presses her lips together and remains seated.

“You are such a loser!” Sasuke exclaims, irritated. Then he seems to notice that Sakura didn’t come to his aid. Hn. That’s strange… but it’s nice not to have her obsess over me for once. They get up, sitting down at the table.

 Sakura hands a plate to… Naruto. I shoot my eyebrows up. She’s really making an effort. Then she hands one to Sasuke as well, and we begin to eat.  “In a few more days, the bridge will be finished.” Tazuna informs us. “I have you to thank for that.”

“You’ve all done great, but you’ve still got to be careful!” Tsunami fears.

Inari bursts out, yelling and complaining. Naruto yells at him and insults him. I do nothing to stop it. I tried the gentle approach. I set the nail into place. Now he needs a couple of blows to hammer it into place.

Inari goes crying outside. I help with the dishes and go upstairs to Sakura and my room. I get dressed in my sleeping clothes, not even bothering to cover the bandage wrapped cuts on my arm with a jacket like I usually do.

 I hear Sakura enter the room quietly. She slides the door shut and gets dressed. I’m facing away from her, sitting on the windowsill and facing the sea. I have my songbook open, reading some of the lyrics I’ve written over the years.

I sense Sakura about to get in her bed, then hesitating. She pads quietly over to me, peering over my shoulder at my song book. I snap it shut before she could see anything. “It’s rude to look at something without being given permission.” I say coldly.

“Oh. Alright then. Can I look at your song book?” She asks.

“No.”

“Huh? Why not?” She questions.

“Because I said so.” I reply.

“Why’d you say so?”

“You aren’t going to drop this, are you?”

“Nope!”

“It’s kind of like my journal. All my thoughts and feelings are laid bare into every song. It’s my only way to express my emotions.” I explain.

“Hmm… So, can I see it?”

“NO!” I shout in exasperation.

“Alright, Alright, calm down!” She giggles. I hesitate, then smile at her as well. “I was just teasing. If you don’t want to show me, don’t.” She climbs into bed, but I stay on the windowsill. “Are you going to bed now?” She asks, already rolling over.

“I will in a bit,” I say, waving her off. Of course, I had no intention of doing so. I haven’t slept in the longest time.

“Alright. Goodnight Keira-chan.”