Chapter Fifteen

As we were walking, Sakura  questioned whether or not there would be any ninja on this mission. I noticed Tazuna tense slightly when she mentioned it. What's that about? I dismiss it, guessing he was just worried about his own safety. 

Kakashi explains the Kages and ninjas in different lands, which I already knew about from travelling. I half listen to Kakashi, but mainly watch our surroundings carefully. Then I hear Sakura gasp, and  I turn around with a kunai drawn.

"Then Lord Hokage's really important!" She praised.. I held my fighting stance for an extra second, then slid the kunai back up my sleeve. Why did she react that way? She's so... jumpy. Hn. Sasuke thought.

She's on her guard. Nothing slips past her. Kakashi thought.

Neither Naruto nor Sakura seemed to notice my movements. Hm. Is that old man reeeaaaally such a big deal? I'm not buying it.

I got him with my sexy jutsu, he can't be that great, believe it! 

Well, the old man does hide his power well... I thought dryly.

"Hey!" They both snapped out of their thoughts, "You all just doubted Lord Hokage, didn't you? That's what you were thinking?" They both freak out and repeatedly deny it, obviously lying. "Well, there are no ninja battles in a C-ranked mission. So," He said, glancing to me, "you can relax." 

"And we're not going to run into any foreign enemy ninja, or anything like that!" She says in relief.

Kakashi laughs. "Not likely," He said, amused. I notice Tazuna's little bead of sweat rolling down his face, and the worried expression on his face.

Maybe not on C-ranked missions... He thought, worry evident in his mind. I was walking behind the group, so I sped up a little, gave Tazuna a suspicious glance, then fell back to guarding behind. We crossed a stream, and I studied the water closely. When it passed my inspection, I returned to my previous tempo. Scan the tree tops, tree shadows, ground, up ahead, far behind, 360, repeat. 

She never lets her guard down. She's even suspicious of a stream, for Kami's sake. Kakashi thought in disbelief. I notice him looking at me and look up to meet his gaze. I break eye contact after three seconds, not wanting to get distracted.

I noticed Kakashi fall back, and he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Hey, it's only a  C-ranked mission. Nothing's going to happen, so you can relax!" He explained calmly. I shook my head.

"Didn't you catch how Tazuna-san flinched when Sakura-san mentioned foreign enemy ninja? He was also very uncomfortable when you mentioned that there were not going to be ninja attacks on us. He has a mix of worry, anxiety, and guilt on his face."

He looked at me in shock. A genin picked up on all of that? 

I shook my head. "I've traveled for a good portion of my life. I''ve had to read people and never let my guard down. It all comes rushing back, my old instincts, now that I'm on the road again."

Hm, I don't totally trust a genins skill, but... I'll indulge her suspicions, pretend I believe her. If it make her feel better. "Okay. If there is a trap or a fight, I want to find out who they are after. So don't react to a trap, let them come out. But really, relax, okay? Nothing is going to happen!" 

I sigh and nod, and he goes up ahead. At least he has a plan in mind if enemies attack, even if he thought he was never going to use it. 

We were now walking along a dry road, every footfall kicking up dust. It hasn't rained in a while, I think, glancing at the clear sky. As we are walking, we pass a puddle. I keep in mind Kakashi sensei's plan and don't give it a second glance.