Chapter Five

That same night, I was arrested.

Well, not exactly arrested, but warned. I was told that I had one day to get out of the village, or else they would use force. I sat on my tree, saddened. I would miss Gaara. A true friend. I would never get a chance to tell him my name.

I slowly packed my bags. I knew from experiance that oftentimes they don't wait the entire period of time they give you, and end up simply running you off. If the Anbu came to warn me at 5 A.M... I would give myself a seven hour cushion time, and leave around 10 tonight. It was 2 p.m right now.

I finished packing. I left the bag at the tree and went to look for Gaara. I looked on the playground, the soccer field, the swing set, the streets, I couldn't find him anywhere. Usually he would be outside, wandering around by now.

Suddenly, I thought of somewhere to look for him. I ran to the place and looked straight up. He was sitting on the wall of the village, looking out into the desert. The wall was high, but I think I could make it up on my wings. Who cares if someone saw me, I would be leaving tomorrow anyway.

I back up, away from the wall, and get a running start. Soon I'm sprinting, and that's when I throw myself into the air and whip my wings open. I pump hard, desperately trying to get to the top. I'm ten yards away when I feel myself falter and begin to fall I push myself another fifteen feet, but can't make it. My wings just aren't catching the wind they need for flight. I was to weak for long flights.

Luckily, before I fall to far, Gaara's sand catches me. I breath a silent thanks to Kami, my heart thudding from the fall and exertion of flying. Gaara sets me down about five yards away from him, refusing to look at me.

I walk up to him. What's gotten into him? No greeting, not a glance in my direction. Just that sullen gaze out into the sun. I sit down on is right side, not saying a word. about a hour goes by, and it's 9:30, the sun totally gone.

 I finally work up the nerve to say what I needed to. "Gaa-kun... I'm leaving." 

He turns to look at me, full on, and for the first time I see the new wound on his left forehead. The Kanji for love.  He looks away, but not before I saw his eyes. They were dead, kind of like mine, but... worse. "Gaa-kun--"

"Don't." I'm  surprised by his voice. Dead, monotone, emotionless. "Don't call me that anymore, Tsukiko-san."

It would have hurt less if he had punched me in the face. He hates me. Because I'm a freak, a girl with wings who cuts herself. And I know that his rejection is going to add scars, not only to my body but to my heart.

I try to detach myself, matching his emotionless voice. But mine is a facade, barely hiding the emotions that roil through me. "Very well Gaara-san. I am leaving the--" I'm cut off by a swirl of sand, and he's gone.

I glance at the time. 9:45 P.M. Dammit, my extra time to leave the village is rapidly slipping away. I stand, pushed my wings out and jumped down. I glided for as far as I could, but my weight quickly brought me down.

I have to go to him, explain if he'll let me. I walk through the streets, wondering what to say. I notice from the corner of my eye an Anbu watching me. I whip my head around and glare in that direction. Out loud, I say, "Don't get your pants in a twist, I'm planning on leaving soon."

After what seemed like hours of walking, I arrived at Gaara's house. To exhausted to fly, I climb to the top. I lean over the edge and tap on the designated window. In response, the shutter slams closed. I waited. And waited. And waited. But he never showed up.

I'm completely shocked. He really wouldn't talk to me. He had told me to call him whenever I  needed anything,  promised to be here for me. I felt some sand brush my shoulder and turn in excitement and happiness, expecting to see Gaara there.  I still had faith in him.  But no one is there. Just one Thing.

I stare at that Thing for what feels like hours, and finally feel the tears that I had suppressed for so long boil over, pouring silently down my cheeks. I literally cry out in pain, my scream echoing throughout the silent village. But there was no reply.

For there, sitting so innocently in a ray of moonlight, was my feather. His final rejection. I reach into my pocket and pull the sand marble out, rolling it around in my hand. I lean over, and set it down with a slight clack, next to my feather. Taking the feather, I throw it to the wind, allowing to to be carried away.

He rejected me, my care, our friendship. I gave him back what was his. He destroyed a piece of me.  He betrayed me, my trust, our friendship. It's not something I can forgive.

This pain, rejection, hurt betrayal, is what I know is real. Because it's really part of me now. Embedded in me. Shaping me.

"See what making friends gets you? Pain. Love is equal to pain." I thought. I thought of Gaara asking me to sing him a song. I'll sing him a song now, a song about exactly how I feel.

I'd never been one to be good a showing emotions, with my face or with my words. But when it came to songs... Something clicked, and I was able to pour all my emotions in a simple song. Like a song about betrayal. Or that it will never leave me. His rejection will stay with me forever.

I opened my mouth to sing.

                                                      "Never Alone"

                                                         Barlow Girl

I waited for you today
But you didn't show
No no no
I needed You today
So where did You go?
You told me to call
Said You'd be there
And though I haven't seen You
Are You still there?

[Chorus:]
I cried out with no reply
And I can't feel You by my side
So I'll hold tight to what I know
You're here and I"m never alone

And though I cannot see You
And I can't explain why
Such a deep, deep reassurance
You've placed in my life

We cannot separate
'Cause You're part of me
And though You're invisible
I'll trust the unseen

[Chorus]

I cried out with no reply
And I can't feel You by my side
So I'll hold tight to what I know
You're here and I"m never alone

We cannot separate
You're part of me
And though You're invisible
I'll trust the unseen

[Chorus]

I cried out with no reply
And I can't feel You by my side
So I'll hold tight to what I know
You're here and I"m never alone

I will never be alone. Because I will always have his rejection with me. I slowly stand, eyes cold. I can't believe a boy I've known for a week could effect me this much. I slowly raise my shawl over my head, and leave, without looking back once,

____________________________________________________

Aww, poor Keira. He hurt her. Good song, ne?

A comment would be nice.

Wouldn't it be awkward if no one is even reading this? Wow.

See you later, and one comment? I don't want to be one of those writers who demands a certain number of comments or likes, but one comment would be nice. :P Ah well.

Comment! Vote!

Bye!

gaara119