Chapter 36

-1 Week Later-
-Brooklyn-
My mom had her first chemo treatment yesterday. She didn't do so well and it didn't help that my grandma is up my friggin butt.
I have a test tomorrow for the tutor I have. I haven't started studying yet. I also had to go to training for my new job tonight at 6.
I had to go shopping for my family since no one else could.
I went to the store and grabbed stuff that we needed and received a text from my aunt.
Her: Hey Brooke, I want to get dinner for you guys tonight. What does your mother like?
Me: Idk.
Her: Well that's not helpful. Pizza? Chinese?
Me: Ya.
Her: Well what does she like from those places?
I told her what she liked and put my phone away as I walked up to the check out line.
I smiled at the boy at the counter as he put my things in the bags. I swiped the card, signed, and grabbed the bags.
"Do you need any help?" He asked.
"No I'm fine thank you." I said smiling.
"Have a nice day." I said.
"You too." He smiled.
I walked to my car and put the bags in the back of the car. I grabbed my keys and got in the drivers seat.
The engine revved to life.
Leo had eventually fixed my car and he was actually starting to grow on me.
I pulled up to my house and hopped out of the car grabbing all the bags and walking up to the door.
I stood there hopeless because I had no hands to open the door.
I bent down and rang the doorbell with my nose laughing a myself as I did.
My grandma opened the door.
"What are you laughing at?" She asked.
"Nothing." I shook my head, smirking as I walked into the house.
I set the bags on the counter and began to unpack the groceries.
Leo walked in as I placed the milk in the shelf on the side of the fridge.
"Hey," I said.
"Hi." He reached over me and grabbed a soda, helping himself.
"How is she?" I asked.
"Nauseous." He said.
I frowned and closed the fridge. I put the rest of the groceries away.
I grabbed a Gatorade and started to open it.
"Aren't you gonna say hi to your mother?" My grandmother asked.
"Yeah I will." I said.
"Go now." She said.
"I will!" I protested.
To be honest I was scared to see her like that.
"Here we go again!" She exclaimed.
I looked to Leo for help.
He shrugged his shoulders and took a sip of his soda.
"Just go hi," he said.
I growled and walked towards her room.
I swear he was starting to act like he was my dad or something.
I quietly opened the door and peered inside.
I walked over to her.
"Hi." I said.
"Hi." She whispered.
I took a sip of my Gatorade.
"How do you feel?" I asked.
"Sick." She responded.
"I'll leave you alone to get some rest." I said. "Do you need anything?"
She shook her head.
I kissed her forehead and quietly left her room.
"That was quick." My grandma commented.
"I'm trying to let her rest." I said sarcastically.
"You don't need to talk like that." She said.
"I'm sorry." I said.
"Aunt Allana is getting pizza delivered." I said turning to Leo.
"Riveting." He replied smirking.
I laughed.
"What time do you have training?" He asked.
"6." I responded.
"Do you want me to bring you?" He asked.
"Sure." I smiled. "It's going to come at like 5:30." I said.
"Okay."
It was 4 now so I had to go get ready. I went upstairs and took a shower. When I got out I put skinny jeans on and a shirt with some uggs.
I put my hair in a messy bun and did some light makeup.
I came downstairs and the food had arrived.
I grabbed a slice of pizza and quickly ate it so that I wouldn't be late.
"Are you ready?" Leo asked.
"Teeth." I responded as I ran upstairs and quickly brushed my teeth and grabbed some mint gum.
I hopped into Leo's car and buckled my seatbelt as he took off.
-Skip Training-
When I got home it was 8:30. Two and a half hours of my friggin time they spent talking and now I have to study for this huge test that determines if I pass or fail the eleventh grade. Great just freakin' great.
I threw my phone in my closet and went back downstairs.
I grabbed some food and started to walk towards the stairs when my grandmother stopped me.
"Where do you think you're going?" She asked.
"In my room." I responded.
"Why?" She asked.
"I have stuff I need to get done." I replied.
"More important than your mother?" She asked.
"Yeah." I responded quickly an regretted it as soon as I said it.
She gasped.
"Brooke your mother is as sick as can be and they say that this is usually how she'll react to the rest of it so that means that your mother is going to go through hell."
"I know." I said.
"No you don't. Because you need to be there for her." She said.
"I know. But I really do have stuff to do."
"Like what?"
"I have a final tomorrow." I said.
"And your just now studying?" She asked.
"I've den busy." I countered.
"I know." She said.
I took that as an opportunity to go upstairs and walked past her.
She clicked her tongue as I did but I didn't turn back I just kept going and the guilt weighed me down but I had stuff I needed to do.
I went upstairs and cleaned my slightly messy room because I knew I wouldn't be able to focus if it was messy.
It was 9:17 when I finally sat down to study. As I sat there I began to read over my notes and all I could think about was my mom and I started to feel guilty. I hasn't realized I was crying until the tears blurred my vision and when I tried to blink them away they fell on my paper smudging the ink.
I bit my lip to keep myself from full out sobbing.
Someone knocked on my bedroom door.
"One minute!" I said.
I hoped whoever it was couldn't tell I had been crying.
They knocked again in what seemed like seconds but was probably only a minute.
"Hold on." I said getting slightly annoyed.
"Brooke-" It was my grandmother.
"I said one second." I said.
She slowly opened the door and I jumped to close it.
"Hold on!" I exclaimed.
I need a lock on my door. I sat up against it so she couldn't open it, my only source of privacy.
"Okay," she said quietly.
She came back a few minutes later.
"I just need my bag Brooklyn." She explained.
"Where is it?" I asked.
"On your chair." I grabbed it and opened the door a crack and handed it to her.
"Thank you." She said.
A few minutes later she knocked.
"What?" I asked.
"I have my bag."
I opened it and held my hand out for the bag. When I felt it touch my fingers I grabbed it quickly pulling it in and setting it down on the chair.
I closed the door and quickly ran to get my phone.
I had some text messages from Chloe and she was the one I wanted to talk to anyways.
I leaned my head against door and typed out a message complaining to her .
Tears streamed down my face.
She assured me everything would be fine and that there was nothing to be upset about and if I didn't stop texting her I was going to fail to which I replied:
Thanks for the support.
And she said:
No problem.
I smirked through my tears as someone knocked on my door.
"Go away!" I yelled. My voice cracked from crying.
The door slowly turned and I placed my feet on the ground to prevent the person from opening the door.
It failed as this mysterious person shoved open the door.
I whimpered and placed my head In my hands.
I shielded myself from the person as I heard their footsteps and then the door close.
I was engulfed in a big hug and took a deep shaky breath and relaxed immediately as I recognized the scent. (A/n that doesn't sound like a dog at all,...)
Shawn.
"What's wrong baby?" He whispered.
I shook my head.
"It's okay." He rubbed the back of my head and I felt him lower his body on the ground.
I removed my hands from my face so I could breath and he grabbed them quickly before I could put them back.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
I nodded.
"That was a stupid question." He said.
I smiled.
"There's that beautiful smile!" He exclaimed. I bit my lip to keep from breaking down again.
That's why I hated sympathy, I could be fine but as soon as you show how sorry you are it makes me feel like I should feel worse than I did already so I cry.
"Did Chlo call you?" I asked.
"No." He shook his head.
"Then why are you here?" I asked.
"I can't come and visit my girlfriend?"
"At 11 o'clock?" I questioned.
"I missed you." He sighed.
I smirked and pecked his lips.
My eyes wandered to all of the papers on the floor and he followed my gaze.
"Studying?" He asked.
"Trying." I sighed.
"Do you need help?" He asked.
"Yes!" I paused. "Please!"
He laughed at my eagerness to study but it was really my eagerness to not fail.
He sat up against my bed and grabbed my study guide that was this huge packet of notes. I laid my head on his lap and he shifted.
"I'm sorry." I said.
"You're fine." He said. Placing his hand in my hair.
I sighed.
He asked me question after question until I eventually just fell asleep.
It was probably like 12:30 when I finally fell asleep and I had to wake up at 6 at the latest to get ready for 7.
-Shawn-
I came over to tell Brooke that Radio Disney offered me this gig with Austin Mahone and Fifth Harmony.
We would all go on your together.
We were all Disney's NBT. (Next Big Thing.)
This was huge for my career and I couldn't wait to tell her but when I walked in she was so heartbroken that I just couldn't bring myself to tell her. I felt horrible.
I helped her study until she fell into a deep sleep.
I slowly started to doze off and my eyes opened and tried to focus on the figure in front of me.
"Shawn?"
It was her grandmother.
"Yeah?" I whispered.
"You're staying the night I presume?" She asked.
"Yeah I guess." I responded.
"You can sleep in here." She said.
"Thank you." I said.
"Thank you." She whispered. "I honestly don't know what that girl would do without you."
I smiled but felt horrible. I would be gone for a whole year on tour with them.
Of course I could take trips home in between or stop home if we were in Canada.
She left us and I put Brooke on the bed and she whimpered.
"Sh,..." I cooed. Go I sleep. She mumbled something and slowly was in a deep sleep again.
I smiled at her.
I turned the light off and got in bed next to her.
I held her close to me, wrapping my arms around her.
She groaned and I smirked.
Before I knew it I was asleep too.
-The Next Morning-
-Shawn-
I woke up and looked next to me.
6:30 read the alarm clock. I glanced at Brooke next to me and softly nudged her.
She groaned and rolled over.
"Come on it's 6:30." I said.
Her eyes flew open and she jumped out of bed.
"What?" I asked.
She just ignored me and walked over to her dresser grabbing some clothes and rushing into the bathroom.
She came out five minutes later. (Media)
I whistled.
She glared at me and went over to her makeup table.
"Babe what are you doing?" I asked.
"I need to attempt to cover these bags and actually look awake in like five minutes."
"Babe you look fine." I said.
She turned around and I looked at her face.
"Oh never mind." I smirked because she in fact didn't look bad at all. Not in my eyes at least.
She smacked my stomach and you could hear the crack as it hit my bare skin.
"Oh!" I yelled. "Oh! I'm wounded!" I fell on the floor and rolled back and forth. She giggled as I stood up and I pecked her lips.
"Nice job jack ass now I only have 3 minutes." She said.
I smiled and just watched her.
-Brooklyn-
"Okay." I sighed setting my makeup brush down.
In three minutes I had out concealer under my eyes and covered it with powder. Then I put some white eyeshadow to brighten my eyes up and then used some black mascara.
I ran downstairs and grabbed my keys. As I did I got a pounding sensation in my head.
I grabbed it and squeezed my eyes shut.
I felt Shawn next to me as he engulfed me.
"I'm fine." I muttered.
I stomped over to the kitchen and grabbed some Tylenol and a bottle of water.
I quickly popped the pills in my mouth and took a swig of the water to wash them down.
I sighed and quickly ran to my car seeing that I had 10 minutes to get there and it took 15 minutes.
I was so tired and I could feel my hunger growing as I shoved the key in the ignition.
Shawn came running up to the side of my car and he knocked repeatedly on it.
I glared at him as I rolled down the window.
"Let me drive you." He pleaded.
I sighed and took the key out of the ignition.
I opened the door and walked over to his car opening the door and hopping in.
He got in the drivers seat and I leaned my head against the window.
The cold window seemed to calm me down a little bit as I laid there.
I could hear Shawn mumbling in the background and I just nodded in agreement as he drove.
My eyes were half open and I saw the building come into view and I stumbled out of the car and into the building.
I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.
I got into the building and everyone else had already been there. Of course I was the last one there.
I walked in the room and my tutor greeted me.
I waved and sat where she told me to.
I barely listened as she said the rules and she handed me the test.
I opened it and was surprised when I actually knew the first few answers.
Of course that didn't last long and I came across some and ended up skipping them.
I finished the test closing the booklet and looking at the clock.
I still had half an hour left.
'Hmmm...' I thought. 'Sleep or check my answers over?'
I decided to check my answers over since I was or hanky going to fail might as well check them over.
When I was done checking them over there was only 5 minutes left and everyone was done so she let us go early.
As I stood up I got a huge head rush and had to stand there for a moment.
I texted Shawn but he didn't respond so I texted Chloe.
She said she would be there in fifteen minutes so I went and waited outside. I was so tired but I couldn't sit down because is fall asleep. I couldn't even stand still because I would fall asleep. I paced back and forth until finally I saw Chloe's car pull up.
I opened the door to the passenger seat only to find Nash sitting there. (A/n I know he technically went home but let's just pretend he didn't.)
I groaned and slammed the door shut getting into the back seat.
"Sorry Brooke he was already with me." She explained.
"Yeah." I sighed leaning my head up against the window.
"Are you okay?" Nash asked, concern in his voice.
"Yeah I'm fine."
I just needed to get home and sleep.
My phone started to ring.
I picked it up.
"Hello?" I mumbled.
"Brooklyn?" It was my grandmother.
"Yeah?" I asked, banging my head against the seat causing Nash and Chloe to laugh.
"Um where are you?" She asked.
"On my way home why?" I asked.
"How close are you?"
"I don't know why?" I asked. I hadn't been paying much attention to where we were.
"Can you get to the hospital?" She asked.
"Why?" I asked suddenly on full alert.
"Your mother was in a lot of pain, so I called the doctor they said it wasn't normal and were in the ER."
My stomach dropped and I was left speechless.