Chapter 20

-Chloe-
"Hey Chlo," Brooke said.
"Yeah?" I asked not taking my eyes off of my phone.
"When I go to Magcon I bet you could date Nash."
I looked up.
"Shut up." I said.
"I'm serious." She said. "I could get you a date."
"Yeah right." I groaned.
"Watch this." She said.
She pulled out her phone and before I knew it I heard Shawn's voice.
"Hey baby."
"Chloe's here." She said.
"Hey Chloe." He said.
"Hi Shawn." I said going to sit next to Brooke.
"So Shawn," she said.
"So Brooke," he mocked her. I laughed.
"Don't laugh at him." She said to me. "He's not funny."
"I think I'm hilarious." Shawn said.
"Yeah right." Brooke said. "Anyways do you think Nash would go on a date with Chloe?"
"Brooke!" I exclaimed.
"Relax." She assured me. "It's only Shawn."
"Yeah Chlo it's only me." He mocked.
"Shut up." She said. "Just answer my question."
"I don't know probably." He replied.
A slight smile creeped up on my face.
"Okay great bye!" She hung up.
She stood up.
"Where are you going?" I asked.
"I'm going to play matchmaker." She responded and then walked away.
-Brooklyn-
I went over to Shawn's house right after that.
I knocked on the door.
He answered.
"Hey baby." He placed his hand on my waist and pecked my lips.
"Hi." I smiled at his touch.
"Are you coming to my event today?" He asked.
"Always." I smiled. "Can Chloe come?"
"Always." He smiled.
"What should I wear?" I panicked.
"Brooke you do this every time. Wear what you would normally wear."
"What are you wearing?" I asked.
"A sweatshirt and khakis."
I looked down at what he was wearing, a sweatshirt and khakis.
"Oh." I smiled.
He rubbed my arms.
"Stop stressing." He said. "Here, let's go to the hotel and hang out there."
"They'll love you." He assured me.
"Okay." I slightly smiled.
-Hotel-
Shawn led the way upstairs and knocked on the door. I could hear screams inside until someone opened the door.
It was Cameron. Oh and did I mention shirtless? Shirtless Cameron stood in the doorway.
"Oh- a hey Shawn-Brooke." He said.
"Hi Cam." I smiled.
"Hey Buddy." Shawn said.
Shawn led the way inside and all the other boys were running around.
"Hey Brooke!" Matt said. "Think fast!"
I looked quickly and threw my hands out to block whatever was coming at me.
It fell to the floor and I picked it up. A bundle of socks.
"Ew!" I exclaimed. "Are these used?!"
Everyone was silent. I grabbed them and looked around the room. Then I whipped them at Matt and he screamed causing Shawn to bust out laughing followed by all the other boys.
"Damn." Taylor said. "I like this girl."
I smiled.
"Yeah buddy you got a good one there." Nash said.
I blushed and so did Shawn.
"She got one hell of an arm too." Matt added.
I laughed.
The rest of the day we just hung out getting to know each other better. Their event was at 7 and before I knew it, it was 4 and I realized I hadn't called Chloe yet to invite her.
"I'll be right back." I said standing up.
I dialed her number and pressed send.
"Hey Chlo," I said.
"Hey." She responded.
"How would you like to come to a Magcon event tonight?" I asked.
"Your just now asking me?" She said.
"Why is that bad?" I responded.
"Yeah Brooke it's bad!" She exclaimed.
"So your not coming?" I said, confused.
"Oh I'm coming!" She said and hung up before I could say another word.
I laughed and walked back into the room.
Shawn was talking to the Jacks so I went over to Nash, Cam, and Matt.
"Hey Brooke," Nash said.
"Yeah?" I asked.
"I dare you to run and jump on Shawn's back."
"I don't know....."
"Come on." He persuaded. "It could be like your thing, jumping on people's backs. We'll put it on vine."
"Yeah do it Brooke." Matt said.
"You better record it." I sighed.
"Yes!" Matt said. They pulled out their phones. Can was silent the whole time but I just ignored it figuring he was being his normal weird self.
"Ready go!" Matt whispered.
I got a running start and jumped on his back wrapping my legs around his waist causing him to stumble and fall, on top of me. Luckily we fell on the bed.
Everybody busted out laughing.
"I can't breath." I struggled.
"Good." He said. "It's your punishment."
"That's not fair!" I exclaimed. "They made me!"
He stood up.
I exhaled.
"Thank god." I exclaimed.
I stood up on the bed and jumped on his back again. I kissed his cheek.
The guys all made kissy faces but I didn't care.
I jumped down and noticed somebody was missing.
I counted.
Nash, Aaron, Jack, Jack, Mahogany, Matt, Taylor, Carter,......
Cameron.
"Hey Nash where's Cameron?" I asked.
"I don't know." He said. "He just left."
"Was he upset?" I asked.
"I guess. I don't really know Brooke."
"Okay." I said. I grabbed my keys.
"Brooke where are you going?" Shawn asked.
"I'm gonna go get Cameron." I said. "I'll be right back." I put my hand on the side of his face kissed him.
"I promise." I whispered.
I got in my car and drove to where I knew Cameron would be. There was this stretch of woods that ran from my house to his. There was this rock in the middle that we would always meet at. I would go there when I was upset and so would he. I hadn't been there in months but I knew that's where he was.
Sure enough as I walked up Cameron sat, head in his hands.
"Hey." I said.
He looked up. His face was red and puffy. Like he had just cried. My face turned from a smile to a frown as I got closer. He put his head back in his hands. I sat down next to him. I put my hand on the back of his head. He barely even acknowledged I was there.
I had never seen Cam cry before. Whenever we watched sad movies he was always the strong one who comforted me.
"Remember that one movie we watched where the guy died?" I said.
"Brooke," he said looking up. "We watched tons of movies where people died."
"That's not my fault. I think you picked sad movies on purpose." I replied.
He didn't comment.
"You did don't you?" I said, slightly laughing. "I can't believe you."
He smiled. I put my arm around his shoulders.
"I remember one time," I said. "My mom yelled at me. I honestly can't even remember what for. Probably something stupid." He laughed.
"Or something you thought was stupid." His voice was raspy.
"Just let me finish my story." I shot back.
He smiled.
"And I came out to this rock and I cried. My mom was and is the only family I had. I didn't like fighting with her. But then this group of rowdy annoying boys came running through the woods with Nerf guns." I smiled at the memory. "I prayed that they wouldn't see me. But one of them did. He told his friends he would catch up with them later and he came and comforted me." I didn't realize it but my eyes were watering. "He sat down next to me and told me that everything was going to be okay." I blinked. The tears fell. Cam noticed them and looked concerned I wiped my cheeks and continued talking. "One year later he kissed me at the same rock. One long year might I add." We laughed.
"Brooke." He said. "Where are you going with this?"
"You were always the one who comforted me." I said. "And I always kind of felt bad. Like I was a baby. Well now I get to comfort you." I scooted closer to him and laid my head on his shoulder.
-Cameron-
She moved closer to me and laid her head on me. I instinctively wrapped my arm around her. What was I doing? She was dating Shawn! She doesn't even know why I was here.
"Whatever it is." She whispered. "It will be all right."
No it won't. I said to myself. The girl I love is dating someone else. For all I know she loves him. The girl I let go. The girl I let slip through my fingers. The girl I lost. Love. I love her and I can't have her. Brooke was the one person I wanted to tell all of this too and the one person I couldn't.