Chapter 34

-Brooklyn-
"Maybe I could help with that." I turned around. A man wearing jeans and a plain white shirt stood there.
I didn't know him and I was really scared. I grabbed my phone and dialed Shawn's number.
"I'm sorry but who the hell are you?" I asked.
Shawn had answered already.
"I'm Leo Wyatt." He said. "Judging by your looks you must be Brooklyn Sanders."
"How do you know my name?" My voice quivered. "What are you doing here?"
"I'm here to visit your mother." He replied.
"How do you know her?" I asked.
"Old friends." He replied.
I was so nervous I hoped Shawn was listening.
"May I look?"
"At w-what?" I stuttered.
"The car of course." He chuckled.
I smiled weakly.
My phone buzzed in my hand. I glanced it at.
Shawn: I'm on my way. Keep calm. Stay on the phone.
"Um what did you say your name was again?" I asked biting my lip and looking up.
"Leo." He responded. "Wyatt."
"How'd you know my name," I asked, trying to stall.
"Your mother talks about you all the time."
"Oh." I sighed.
He stoked his hand on the side of my car.
"Quite a nice car you've got here." He said.
Oh my god I thought. That sounds like something a rapist or someone would say.
"Uh yeah." I said.
I was still sitting in the front seat.
He moved towards me more and I tensed up. He stood blocking the door.
Oh my god I'm stuck. He trapped me.
"Turn the ignition." I did as he said.
The engine made some sputtery sounds and Leo walked towards the front of the car.
I took this as an opportunity to get out of the car. I followed him to the front of the car.
I glanced around to see if Shawn was here yet and to my surprise I saw him sprinting towards me, with no shirt on.
"Hey." He pecked me lips.
I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. He squeezed it back in a reassuring way.
Leo looked up. "Who might this be?"
"Uh-" I stumbled for words.
"Shawn." Shawn stuck out his hand. Leo shook it.
"And who are you in relation to my-" He cut himself off. "Brooklyn." He finished.
"He's my boyfriend." I got out.
"I think it's best if you leave now." Shawn said.
"Y-yeah." Leo stuttered.
He walked to his car and drove off. As soon as I saw him drive off I turned to Shawn, tears brimming my eyes.
I wrapped my arms around his neck and stood on my tippy toes so I was just about his height. He wrapped his arms around my waist. My waist was pushed up against his.
"It's okay." He whispered.
I pulled away but still left my arms around his neck. His hands were still on my waist.
"Was no shirt really necessary?" I asked looking down at his shirtless skin.
"Babe," he said. "I jumped in my car the minute I heard the other guys voice."
I looked further down to his shoeless feet.
I kissed him.
"That was so sweet." I whispered. "I could have taken him."
"Yeah you could have." He said, sass in his voice.
"I could have." I pouted.
"Then why did you call me?" He whispered.
"How am I supposed to fight a battle without my knight in shining armory." I asked.
He smirked, bringing his lips to mine once more.
"Are you ready?" He asked.
"Yes." I said. "I've been ready I just want to get the hell out of here."
He grabbed my hand and my bag. He pulled me towards his car.
He started driving and I turned on the radio. Lego House by Ed Sheeran was on.
He started singing along.
I smiled at him.
"What are you smiling at?"
"Nothing keep singing." I said, smiling the whole time.
He kept singing. I smirked.
Then we arrived at the beach. He parked next to Chloe.
I got out and hugged her and Shawn bro hugged Nash. Then I hugged Nash and Shawn hugged Chloe.
Then Chloe went back to Nash and I went back to Shawn. They both put their arms around us.
Nash and Shawn both didn't have shirts or shoes on.
"Oh my f-" Nash started. "This sand is hot."
Shawn was moving his feet up and down. I laughed.
Nash started running ahead doing high knees.
I laughed as Shawn followed.
Chloe came and joined me and we walked together behind our crazy boyfriends who were running around like chickens with there heads cut off.
Chloe and I put our arms around each other's shoulders and walked in unison.
Left, right, left, right.
We laughed as we walked in unison and at the crazy boys in front of us. I was happy.
We reached the shore of the ocean. Shawn and Nash sighed as they're burning feet hit the cold water. Chloe and I laughed again.
"What are you girls laughing at?" Nash said.
"Yeah." Shawn said sounding like a little kid.
I laughed.
Before I knew it Chloe was gone from under my arm and looked over to find her kissing Nash.
"RUDENESS." I said.
"And GROSSNESS." Shawn said pulling me closer to him by my waist. I laughed.
I gasped as the cold water hit my feet.
Then he laughed.
Chloe and Nash were still kissing. Or making out?
"Hey!" I yelled.
They pulled away smiling.
"Come on Chlo." I said. We went and laid our blankets and towels out claiming a spot by the ocean as ours.
Nash and Shawn stood in the ocean waiting for us.
"Hey babe!" Nash yelled.
Chloe turned towards him and I did too.
He was taking his shirt off.
"Can you set this over there?" He asked.
She nodded and he tossed it to her.
She caught it and set it on the blanket.
"Woah you totally just caught that." I whispered.
"I know!" She whispered back smiling.
We laughed as we took off our shirts and shorts revealing our bathing suits.
We walked over to the boys.
"What's so funny?" The boys asked in unison.
"Nothing." I sighed, wrapping my arms around Shawn and Chloe did the same to Nash.
"Hey ladies are we going to go further into the water?"
"I'm scared." Chloe pouted clinging to Nash.
"Oh please!" I exclaimed.
She glared at me.
I looked at Shawn.
"Uh oh." I said sarcastically. "I've said too much!" He laughed and wrapped his arm around me.
"If you're not scared then." Nash said. "I can do this." He picked Chloe up and brought her further out while she was screaming.
When the water went up to his knee caps he bent over so her back was just barely touching the water.
She arched her back so her stomach and chest was touching his.
She wrapped her legs tighter around his waist, crossing both her feet.
She smiled at him and he smiled at her.
Then he bent down and kissed her softly.
I smirked.
He pulled away and then pressed his lips to hers again.
He lifted her up. Her legs were wrapped around his waist. His hands were holding her up by her thighs. She pushed his hair back with her hand.
I stomped through the water over to then, Shawn trailing behind.
"Okay you guys just turned something really cute into something really gross." I said.
"Oh please Shawn and you make out all the time!" She said.
"Okay first of all making out sounds gross and second of all never have I ever!" I exclaimed.
"Ooh. We should play that!" Chloe said jumping down from off of Nash. She gasped when her feet hit the cold water but quickly got used to it.
"We should!" I said.
After much persuading the boys we all went back to the blanket and laid down.
Nash laid on one end and Shawn laid on the other. Shawn's head was on the oppose end that Nash's was. Chloe and We laid our heads on their chests and laid sideways on the blanket putting our feet on the other boy.
Instead of drinking, since we can't we decided we would take Gatorade shots. We had some in a cooler we brought.
"Never have I ever puked on my best friend." Chloe said.
"Screw you!" I said taking a shot of Gatorade.
She laughed.
"What?" Nash asked.
"I don't even want to know." Shawn mumbled. I laughed.
"Never have I ever had braces." Nash said.
"Damn what the hell is wrong with you people?!" I said taking another swig of Gatorade. Shawn took a sip too but Chloe didn't. I knew she had never had braces. I turned to face him.
"You had braces?"
"Yeah." He blushed.
"I bet you looked adorable." I pinched his cheek and he laughed, his chest vibrated as he did.
"Okay!" I exclaimed. "My turn!"
"Never have I ever pinched someone's ass."
Chloe and Nash drank. "You guys are gross!" I exclaimed.
Shawn sighed. "My turn."
"Never have I ever had a one night stand."
No one drank.
"You suck!" I said. His face got a little red but I rubbed his hand.
We each did a couple more until Nash said he didn't want to anymore.
"Fine!" I sighed standing up and stretching. Everyone else did the same.
"Can we please go in the ocean?" Nash whined.
"Yes!" Chloe exclaimed.
I grabbed Shawn's hand as we went towards the ocean.
I stood on my tippy toes so I could whisper in his ear.
"Always." I whispered, gripping his hand tighter and proceeding deeper into the ocean. We went up to our chests and jumped around in the waves. Chloe and I couldn't stop laughing. I held onto Shawn's hand the whole time.
Occasionally when a big wave would
come he would squeeze my hand. I would squeeze it back.
One time I even whispered in his ear. "If you die, I die with you." He smirked and pulled my closer to him by my waist.
"I'm tired!" Chloe yelled.
We decided we would go back to the beach.
Chloe and I walked ahead of Nash and Shawn.
"Hey Chlo." I said.
"Yeah?" She looked at me.
"Can we build a sandcastle?"
"Yes!" She exclaimed.
When we got back up to our towels we sat down. Shawn and Nash laid on their backs.
"What are you two doing?" I asked sarcastically.
"Tanning, Brooke." Nash replied. "What does it look like?"
I kicked him lightly with my foot.
"Ooh!" I heard Chloe scream.
She pulled out a volleyball.
"Brooke!" She said. "We should play volleyball!"
"Yes!" I said. "Chloe and I are going to play volleyball!" I exclaimed turning to the boys.
"That's great babe." Shawn mumbled.
"You don't want to play." I asked pouting slightly.
"Nope." Nash said popping the p.
"Fine!" I said. "I hope you turn into lobsters!"
And I walked away.
As I walked away I heard Nash and Shawn.
"Lobsters?" Nash questioned.
"I don't know she's crazy." Shawn said.
"I heard that!" I yelled.
They laughed.
Chloe and I went further up the beach so that we didn't hit people with the ball or sand.
We were playing for a little when two guys came up to us.
"Mind if we join?" One asked.
I shook my head no.
Chloe glared at me and walked over to me stomping through the sand.
"Are you forgetting we both have boyfriends?" She growled.
"No I know. They didn't ask for a date, Chlo they asked to play volleyball." I said back.
"That's on the road to let me grab your ass and take you out!" She said.
"Relax. I love Shawn. I would never betray him like that. Now can we just play and have a good time?" I asked.
"Yeah." She sighed.
-Nash-
Shawn and I stayed on the towels while Brooke and Chloe went to play volleyball up the beach a little.
We laid there with our eyes closed for like 10 minutes.
"Hey man." I said slapping his chest.
He groaned. Apparently he had fallen asleep.
"Come on you have to roll on your stomach or we'll be lobsters like Brooke said." He rolled onto his stomach.
I searched the beach for Chloe and Brooke.
I thought I saw them. I took a second glance and they were with two guys.
"Shawn!" I smacked his back.
"What?" He groaned.
"Look!" I stood up shaking the sand off of me but then deciding screw it. Shawn still hadn't gotten up.
"Shawn Peter Raul Mendes!" I kicked him in the side.
"Jesus! What?!" He yelled.
I pointed at the girls and the two guys.
"Aw Hell no!!" He said.
We made our way over to the girls.
-Shawn-
(A/n sorry I know that wasn't long for Nash but 😐)
"Aw hell no!" I yelled.
We made our way over to the girls.
I grabbed Brooke's arm roughly and spun her around.
"What do you think your doing?" I growled.
"We were just playing volleyball." She said calmly. She shook her arm out of my grip.
"Please Brooke!" I exclaimed. "He was all over you!"
"I think I'm gonna leave." The one guy said.
"Yeah I think that's best." I said.
He started to walk away.
"God why are you being like this?!" Brooke exclaimed.
"Me?! Your the one who was flirting with him!"
She scoffed. "Yeah because that's what I do Shawn!" She yelled.
"God." She whispered. "You didn't even want to hang out with us. You and Nash were tanning or whatever the hell you want to call it! All of the sudden we find somebody who actually wants to hang out us and you have a problem with that?!" She yelled.
She looked over at Chloe and Nash. I followed her gaze. They were both just standing there watching us. When they saw us they quickly looked away.
She sighed and walked over to Chloe.
"Can you bring me home please?" She asked.
"Uh yeah." She glanced at me with a questioning look and kissed Nash before leaving.
-Brooklyn-
Chloe and I walked to her car in silence. We got in and were driving for a couple minutes when I spoke up.
"So how'd it go with you and Nash?" I asked.
"Fine." She said. "We haven't been dating that long so he kind of felt like he couldn't get angry."
"Yeah," I sighed weirdly a little jealous of her.
There was a few minutes of silence after that. I just looked out the window.
"I know you heard." I said.
"What?" She asked.
"Shawn and I." I responded.
"Oh. Yeah." She sighed.
"God why does he have to be like this." I complained.
"He just really likes you Brooke." She said.
"Yeah but- I mean-" I groaned.
She smirked.
"I just I'm so- I don't know." I sighed and just waited until she pulled up my driveway.
There was a car parked on the road in front of our house. I recognized it.
"This literally can't be happening right now." I said.
-Shawn-
She walked away with Chloe. I watched her get in her car. I groaned and stuff me face in my hands.
Nash just stood there.
"Alright let's go." I said.
He could tell I wasn't in the mood so he just followed.
We went over to the blanket and picked everything up.
Nash brought Chloe's stuff home with him.
I grabbed Brooke's clothes and put them in her bag along with her sunscreen and a few other random things she had lying around.
Nash and I packed up my car.
We were driving for a little when I spoke up.
"What did you say to Chloe?" I asked.
"I just kind of said like 'who are they?' And she said 'no one. It doesn't matter anyways I'm dating you.' And then she kissed me. I feel like I can't even be that jealous because we haven't been dating that long." He sighed.
"Yeah." I said.
"Why does she have to flirt with every boy she sees?" I asked, taking a turn.
"Man, no offense but just because she was hanging out with him doesn't mean she was flirting."
"I know but I feel like I'm not enough for her. You know?" I asked.
"I actually don't but I can imagine." He said.
I groaned.
We pulled up to his house.
"You okay man?" He asked.
"Yeah I'm fine." He got out of the car and grabbed his stuff.
I sat in his driveway for a little before driving home.
-Chloe-
"This literally can't be happening right now." Brooke said.
"What?" I asked. I followed her gaze to a white sedan parked on the side of the road in front of her house.
"Who's car is that?" I asked.
She turned to face me.
"Leo Wyatt." She said. "Apparently him and my mom are old friends-" she used air quotes. "They go way back." I smirked. "He paid me a little visit this morning. Nearly scared the living shit out of me." I laughed. "Anyways Shawn came, shirtless mind you and he left but the son of a bitch is back!" She groaned.
"We can go to my house." I said.
"No, no, it's okay." She said. "He's just creepy. Ya know?"
"Yeah."
"Well I'll text you later, eh?" She said.
"Yeah." I said.
She got out of the car and started to walk up to her house. She turned around and walked back to my car and sat down in the passenger.
"Brooke what are you doing?" I asked.
"I'm still in my bathing suit." She huffed.
"Oh." I looked in the back of my car searching for something she could wear.
"Aha!" I pulled up Nash's shirt.
"I don't know Chlo,..." She said.
"Brooke there is a weird dude in there and you can't just walk in in a bathing suit, so put this on." I shoved it at her and she slid it over her bathing suit. When she got out of the car and stood up the shirt went to her mid thigh.
"You know," she said. "I don't even want to know how this got in your car." She said.
I laughed as she walked up the stairs to her house.
-Brooklyn-
I walked up to my house and knocked on the door.
My grandma opened it.
"Hello sweetie." She said.
Apparently she was over our whole dispute earlier. That was good because honestly it was the last thing I needed.
"Hey." I said.
I walked in and saw my mom and Leo sitting on the couch.
He had his arm resting on the back of the couch behind her. They were laughing about something.
I walked over to the chair by the couch and sat down in it.
I pulled my legs close to my chest and played on my phone.
Somehow I kept finding myself going back to my messages with Shawn.
The last one he sent me telling me to keep calm.
"Brooklyn?" My mother snapped me out of my thoughts.
"Ya?"
"Do you want to play a game with us?"
"Uh yeah." I said. I really didn't but I figured it would be a good way to get my mind off of Shawn.
I set my phone to the side and leaned forward in my seat.
"What game?"
"I was always very fond of Pictionary." Leo said.
"Fond?" My mother asked smirking.
He smiled back.
"Brooklyn can you get Pictionary please?" My mom asked.
I groaned but got up and got it anyways.
I set the game on the table and Leo set it up. I still didn't completely trust him or like him for that matter but my mom seemed to and if she was happy I was happy.
We started playing and I decided I would go first.
I picked up a card and read it.
'Hippopatamus.'
How the hell was I supposed to draw a hippo?
I grabbed a dry erase board and a marker.
"Are you ready?" He asked.
"Ya." I sighed.
He flipped the timer and I quickly tried to draw a hippopotamus.
"Hot air balloon?"
"No." I said.
"Tiger?" Leo guessed.
"No." I sighed.
"Whale?" My grandmother guessed.
"No!" I exclaimed.
"Times up!" Leo said.
"It was a hippo!" I exclaimed, exasperated.
Everyone laughed.
"I love you Brooke but that did not look like a hippo." My grandma said trying to hold back her laughter.
I laughed with them.
"Alright alright." I said. "Someone else go."
We played a few more rounds before my mom said she was tired and wanted to go to bed.
Leo helped her upstairs because she was in a lot of pain.
Honestly it made me feel a little sick but whatever.
When he left he hugged my grandmother and just said goodbye to me.
"I'm going to sleep on the couch." My grandmother said. "Your bed kills my back."
"Okay." I kissed her goodnight and grabbed my phone.
When I got upstairs I pulled my hair into a messy ponytail and put on shorts, a big t shirt and some ankle socks.
I shut my door and sat on my bed.
I climbed under the covers and turned off my light but then turned the lamp on next to my bed.
I decided I would check my phone.
Chloe had texted me and so had Nash but no Shawn.
I responded to Chloe first.
Her: Hey have you heard from Shawn?
Me: No, I'm really scared, Chlo, we've never had a fight like this before. What if we break up?
Her: You won't. You both love each other.
Me: How? Were only 17. How the hell do I know what love is?
Her: You know because your in love.
Me: shut up.
Her: sorry I really want to talk but my mom is yelling at me.
Me: Okay. Bye!
After that I was getting tired so I decided I would talk to Nash later.
As I laid there trying to sleep Shawn wouldn't get off of my mind. Tears silently fell and I fell asleep with tear stained cheeks.
-Shawn-
I hung out at my house for a little. Somehow I kept finding myself checking my phone to see if Brooke had texted me.
I wasn't even mad at her. I was just angry and hurt. I feel like I'm not enough for her.
After I sat there for a while I decided I would go to my best friend Geof's house.
I texted him just to tell him. He always said I was welcome there.
Brooke had never met him and I barely talked about him with her.
I pulled up his driveway and knocked on the door.
He opened it and led the way downstairs to his basement.
He tossed me a game controller.
I easy caught it and sat down on the couch with him.
He opened a bag of chips on the table.
"So what's up man?"
I didn't want to sound weird or anything, and I honestly wasn't sure I wanted to talk about Brooke and our fight.
"Nothing much, you?" I asked.
"I learned how to play this sick new song on the guitar." He said.
I smiled and motioned for him to grab his guitar and show me.
He played it and was banging his head while he did.
I couldn't help but laugh.
It was really good actually and I taught him that he would have to teach me how to play it.
He promised he would and we started playing video games.
About halfway through the game he paused it.
"What?" I asked.
"What's wrong with you?" He asked.
"Nothing." I said leaning back on the couch.
"Your acting weird." He pushed. "How's everything with you and Brooke?"
I was silent.
"Oh." He said quietly.
"Well you know I'm not much for mushy gushy bro stuff but if you want to like scream and punch things I'm good with that."
I laughed and so did he.
"Seriously man." He said punching me in the shoulder. "What happened?"
I groaned and rubbed my face.
"I just- I don't know man one minute we were at the beach and the next she was walking away-" I rambled on.
"Woah slow down and tell me the whole story."
So I did from deciding to go to the beach, to the two guys, to her storming off.
He was silent.
"The silence is really helping." I said sarcastically.
"I'm sorry man." He said.
"Do you think I-I over reacted or something?" I asked.
"No man I mean you love her and you just-"
"Over reacted?" I asked.
"No, Shawn, listen to me, stay the night. We'll have a bro night. It'll blow over in the morning, I swear."
I nodded and sighed, leaning back on the couch.
-Chloe-
-The Next Morning-
I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing.
I groaned and grabbed it.
"Hello?" I asked, groggily.
"Chlo he hasn't called or texted!" Brooke whined.
"Brooke what are you doing up at-"
I looked at my alarm clock.
"9:30,...." I trailed off. "Okay what's up?" I asked, sitting up.
"I just told you Chloe!" She exclaimed.
"Jesus Brooke relax!" Chloe said.
"No Chlo I can't because my boyfriend and I are fighting, the love of my life, and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm about to cry my insides hurt so much and top off the whole friggin' situation I got my period this morning." She whispered the last part.
"Brooke-" I said. "Just come over well talk and eat junk food all day we'll figure out what to do."
"Yeah." She sighed.
"Okay I just need to pull my hair back and throw some sweats on." She said.
"Okay." I said.
-Brooklyn-
I put on my mint green tank top and sweatpants and grabbed a sweatshirt just in case I got cold.
I grabbed my keys and walked to my car and tried to start it. I turned the key and it sputtered to life and then slowly died down.
"No, no, no." I mumbled, trying over and over again to start it.
It was the last string.
I got out of the car, slid down it and started sobbing.