The One For Him ~ Chapter Sixteen

Chapter 16

I got to tell him. He needs to know. I search frantically for him. Now I know how much he means to me. I love Alex, I love him very much.

***

I left Lloyd, standing there. He cried when I told him.

'I'm sorry Lloyd, I don't love you like that'.

'No Claire, you're just angry with me for marrying Jenna --'

'I'm in love with Alex', I said, cutting off his remark. 'I made love to him not fucked him Lloyd. I did all that for I love him. He's the best thing that ever happened to me Lloyd and I think it's about time you know the truth'.

His shoulders slumped.

'I'm sorry but when you told me that you love me now... All I can think of is to tell him how much I love him. How much I love my Alex', I reached for his face and wiped his shed tears. 'Please don't cry, instead, be happy for me Lloyd for at last I found the man who I want to spend the rest of my life with. Just like how you found your Jenna', I smiled, I started crying too.

'But I love you', he wailed. He hugged me tight again.

'No you don't Lloyd for if you did, you should have chosen me in the first place', I patted him at the back to console him. 'Jenna loves you, you love her. You're just having problems but I know you two can fix this', I let go, smiled, kiss him on the cheek for the last time and left. Now I have to fix my own problem.

***

'Mom, did you see Alex?', I approached her for I didn't see him anywhere. There are only few people left. The catering service we hired were starting to clean up.

'He just left sweetie'

'Left?!', where did he go?

'Yes, he said he needs to be in Mexico before 6. Said he's got a meeting there. He didn't tell you?', mom looks worried.

'Mexico', I whispered. My heart is breaking. I thought he wanted me there with him. And what's worst, he left without saying goodbye.

***

'May I speak with Mr. Durant, please?', I called Lloyd's office, hoping that he can tell me where exactly in Mexico City Alex is staying. As his assistant, he must have known.

'He's not here at the moment. Mr. Durant called in sick this morning. May I know who's on the line please?'

'It's Miss Thomas, a friend of his. Uhm... Miss, do you know what's the number for Mr. Carter's office?', I asked hesitantly.

'Just call the reception desk again and asked them to dial 001'.

I did.

'Mr. Carter's presidential's office, may I know who's on the line please?', a friendly, sexy woman's voice answered after the second ring.

'Hi, it's Clarissa, uhm... his girlfriend', I swallowed. 'I'm looking for Mr. Carter, may I speak with him?'

'He's not here', said a curt reply. The friendliness tone was gone by the second. I frowned. I take it she doesn't like me.

'May I know where I can locate him then?', hoping she will tell me.

'Mexico City'.

'Which hotel?'

'His beach resort'.

'What resort?'

'Are you really his girlfriend?', she sounds like she's doubting me.

'Nevermind, bye.', then I put the phone down and sighed.

I've been tryin to call Lloyd's cellphone but for unknown reason I cannot reach it.

There's only one option left, and that is to call Marc. It's about time I have to call him.

***

'Tara and Marc's place', shit! Why can't it be Marc.

'Hi Tara, may I speak with Marc please?'

'Oh hi Claire, how are you babe? I'm so sorry we weren't able to go to uncle's birthday. Did he like the gift we sent him?', she sounds delighted.

'Yes, thank you so much. Another addition to his collections'.

'That's great. Oh, have you heard the news about Lloyd?'

'What about him?'

'He was fired, Claire', she said in a sad voice.

'Huh?! Why?! What happened?!', that was such a shocker.

'I really don't know for Marc won't tell me anything but I heard him

and Jenna are filing for divorce too'.

'But they just got married?'

'I know, its terrible. Marc is trying to convince the board of directors to change their minds but they said it was the order of the president's company'.

'I see'. Oh Alex, what have you done?

'Marc is not here Claire. He flew to Mexico City this morning. He said he will call me once he's settled'.

'Do you know which part of Mexico hes going to?'

'Santa Fe'.

'Okay. Thanks, bye', then I hanged up. I hurriedly took my phone and googled the place including Alex's name on it. Maybe his resort is a well-known tourist spot.

But there was no feedback. I tried Smith (beach resort) and there it was. La Villa Angelita, a very modern high-class with a classical look beach resort. I slowly smiled. This is it! I'm going to Mexico!