The One For Him ~ Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

Dada's big day arrived. A lot of people were gathered in the garden were the party was set. Some of them were talking about how I nailed a rich and young handsome boyfriend. Wow! This was supposed to be my dada's party not mine. News do really fly fast. Everybody met him after dinner. Mom was so overwhelmed with the venue that she made her speech and cried thanking Alex. I know with that he won both mom and dada's hearts, just like how he won mine. He just raised his glass and told the crowd he wouldn't be giving speeches when they asked him to for it's not his birthday. Everyone laughed at that. He certainly knows how to charm a crowd too. They love him and I love him, my Alex.

My Alex who is obviously trying to avoid me since our last conversation. He doesn't speak to me like before. The last time he did, he just told me I looked beautiful. I wore a tight blue dress, for I know he likes blue and he loves my curves and I'm glad it didn't escape his attention. But he's so distant now, I started feeling gloomy. He was avoiding me. He's always with dada's company talking about whatever it was men loves to share insights with or with mom, indulging the ladies fascination about fashion trends and housekeeping, even gardening. He owned the crowd so it seems and half of the ladies there are smitten with him. Now I know what real jealousy means.

***

'Can I talk to you?', I didn't hear Lloyd's approach for I was busy scanning my eyes for Alex's presence.

Lloyd came to the party alone, explaining to my parents that Jenna is sick. Well, I think that was a lie. She just doesn't want to come here. As if I care.

I turned around and faced him. He looked gaunt and a little frail. Just two months after the wedding and he looks like this? I frowned. What happened to him?

'What do you want to talk about?'

'Can we talk over there?', he pointed at a lone tree facing the small river.

'Okay', he offered me his arm and I accepted. When we reached there, we were in a secluded place that the noise coming from the country music being played was low. It was a bit dark there too but I know I can trust him. There was a deafening silence at first. Then I heard him inhaled forcefully.

'Are you sleeping with him?!', he sounded angry. I got offended of course.

'Excuse me?!', I was horrified.

'Are you sleeping with my boss?! Answer me Clarissa!'

'Will you please lower your voice', I said thru gritted teeth. God! I hate it when he do this big brother act.

'Fuck that! Did you sleep with him?! Is that why he's here?! Did you do this to exact your revenge to me?!'

'What?!'

'Is it his money?! Tell me! Huh?! Did he lavish you with expensive things that's why you bedded him?!', his so red in the face I think he'll be having a heart attack soon. I tried to be remain calm. I took a deep breath.

'You're drunk. Go home to your wife, Lloyd.'

'For God's sake Clarissa! He's a playboy! Don't you know how hard I tried not to let him see you again?!'

'What do you mean?', I said in a small voice, this sounds so interesting.

He kept quiet but he still looks so raging mad.

'I want you to end this! Whatever it is that you two have, I want you to finish it. Now!'

'Woah! Lloyd, you forget your place! Who are you to tell me what or what not to do?! You're not my father!', my temper's flaring now too. 'And don't you dare tell me to stop my relationship with Alex for I never did stopped yours!', with that I turned around and was about to leave when my right heel was dugged into a small hole. He immediately grabbed my arm and catch me before I fell. I tried to hold my balance and attempted to walk but I fell again. My foot hurts that I wasn't able to stop my eyes from being watery.

'I'm sorry, I'm sorry', he murmured and hugged me tight against his chest. 'I just don't know what's happening with me Clarissa', he said in a hurtful voice.

'Lloyd, let go of me!', I tried to push him off me but he wouldn't budge

'No please, stay. I want you to listen to me. I want you to know what I'm about to say Clarissa. I think I made a mistake about Jenna', that shocked me. I was speechless. This is gonna be a scary news.

'I think I love you Clarissa. Not a love like a brother loves a baby sister but like a man who loves a woman'. I closed my eyes. Damn!

'Oh Lloyd', I wailed. It's too late, my heart said. I love Alex Jude Carter now.