The One For Him ~ Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14

Dinner was served at home with mom's cooking set out to feed an army. I was surprised to learn that he called my parents and told them he was coming to visit. My! my! my! He's really showing them he is my devoted boyfriend. So does that mean we are really a couple now? Hmm... I love that! He's so amazing. I never saw my mom spoke to a guy like she did to him before. Even with my male friends she was 'mom' but with Alex she's different. She kept on blushing especially when he gives her his attention. He definitely got her under his spell.

Dad at first was grim and hesitant but when he learned that both he and Alex had a common likes in basketball, soccer, football and fishing, well you know what happened next.

They became inseparable and they kept talking about it even after dinner. I was left alone with mom to do the dishes.

'He's a charming man sweetie', mom smiled at me.

'I know mom. I'm glad you and dada like him', I turn the dishwasher on and dried the sink.

'How did you meet? You didn't tell us he's your boyfriend. Your dada felt bad, well so am I. You never kept any secrets from us before Clarissa'. I sighed. I felt guilty but I can't tell her there's a lot of secrets I've been hiding since I met Alex.

'I know mom, it's just that it's so sudden I didn't even know it is already happening', atleast I'm not lying about that.

'Okay, you're forgiven. If I was in your place I wouldn't be so sure too. He's from high society, from one of the richest and famous family and of course I know my baby girl felt like she doesn't deserve him but I tell you this. You deserve everything the Lord has given you and I think Alex is one of them. Don't ever let him go darling if you love each other, go for it. Okay?'

'Okay mom', I smiled, a forced one. Mom doesn't know I'm not even sure if he loves me too.

***

'So which bed will I sleep on tonight?', he teased. We are out in the garden, strolling. It's past midnight. He brought my hand to his lips and kissed it. He kept squeezing it too. He's in a lighter mood so it seems.

'There's a guest room beside mine if you want but I don't think dada will allow you to stay there', I teased him back.

He pouted. He's copying my habit.

'What about me?'

'What about you?'

'My partner down there wants to be with you'

'You can tell him he's off limits for now'

'Aww... Too bad'

I giggled and pinched his arm.

'Claire?'

'Yes?'

'Will you go with me?'

'What do you mean?' I frowned.

'I want to take you to Mexico'

I gasped. I wanted to go to that place but I never had the time.

'When?', I smiled widely. I can't contain my excitement.

'The day after tommorow'

I bit my lip, that would be dada's birthday party and I didn't invited him yet.

'Alex, that's dada's 59th birthday', I bit my lip. I was quiet nervous and I can't explain why. He was silent for awhile.

'I see', he said in a low voice. Then he looked away, admiring the garden. I felt bad not telling him. Well, I almost forgot about it because of him, duh!

'I'm sorry I forgot to mention it', I pouted.

'It's okay, your dada told me. In fact I'm going to call some people to help with the preparations', he grinned.

'What?! Why?!', I wailed.

'Why? Coz I want to help them out', he said with amusement dancing in his eyes.

'But mom always cooks for--'

'I know, she told me that. That's why I'm just going to help in setting the venue'.

'Bu-bu-but--'

'Shhh...', he stopped my words with his index finger on my lips. 'Clarissa, I want to do this for you and them. I love the way your mom and dada loves you. I love the way you love them, too. I love the way your parents brought you up and I'm doing this to thank them for those and for accepting me without any second thoughts as well as allowing me to stay here', he sounded so serious now, and there's a trace of sadness in his voice even though he was smiling while speaking. I frowned a little. It made me wonder I never really get to know him that much. All I know is that his grandmama brought him up, he's rich, a yummy hunk and a great lover.

***

He said we will fly right after the party. Fly? That's a laugh! I don't have wings so I asked him if he wanted me to call for ticket reservations and he said there's no need for that. So I was disappointed, maybe he changed his mind about going.

The next day mom was frantically moving about, calling her 'special forces' to help out. Aunt Leonie (Lloyd's mom) was the first to arrive. She was so happy to see me and we chat about her new diet regimen. I almost bursts with laughter when she saw Alex with dada who was busy assisting the preparation crew, she literally dropped her jaw! I need to call her thrice before she heard me.

'Aunt Leonie!' Third call.

'Huh? What?!'

'You were saying?', I grinned and arch my brows.

'Where was I?', she frowned. 'Claire, who is that man with you father?', she changed her topic of interest.

'That's Alex Jude Carter'.

'Carter?', her eyes were wide.

'Lloyd's boss'.

'The one you slapped at the party?!', she was astounded.

'Yes', I bit my lip, blushing.

'Her boyfriend, Mrs. Durant', Alex said from my back. He's like a cat, you can't seem to know he's around with that predatory silent walk of his. I rolled my eyes and turned to look at him. Aunt Leonie is blushing profusely now. Man! This guy really is a lady-killer.

He kissed me on the lips then hugged me to his side. I was surprise with that gesture I can't seem to find my voice. Aunt Leonie is fanning herself with her hands now. Wow!

'Nice to meet you. I heard a lot of you from Lloyd Mrs. Durant. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself at the wedding for I was late and was having a headache', he looked at me as if saying I'm the cause of his previous predicament. I pouted at him.

'Oh that's fine', she glanced at me teasingly. She bought his alibis. Grrr! I didn't even met the guy before I slapped him, argh!

'Nice to meet you too, Mr. Carter'

'Call me Alex please'

She nodded. They spoke about the wedding, how grand it was and all. He indulged her. He really is all the time nice and polite with older people.

'I think I better go help your mom in the kitchen', she said after that long chat of theirs. I just stood there just listening to their exchanges.

'She's busy', I smiled then she hurried off. From the look of it she's going for a juicy interrogation with mom. I sighed.

'You still don't want me as your boyfriend then', he said in a quiet voice. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Shit!

'Alex it's not like that. I just don't know how to explain to people about us. It happened so fast, I--'

'You're what? You're worried Lloyd will find out? Are you worried he'll get mad at you for dating his boss? For God sake's Clarissa, he's already married!' He's so mad with jealousy. I was shocked. I can't speak. My mind was trying to inject that bit of info in my head. When I just stood there, speechless, he sighed, shook his head and left me there, standing alone in the garden. But the hurt look in his eyes didn't escape me.