Know It's For The Better

A/N - I had to rewrite this story since it got deleted 😔

And it was 900 words.

But oh well, enjoy!

- Third Person's POV -

You and Nico had been dating for a year now. He's been the sweetest, most gentle angel you've ever met.

A while after the war against Kronos, you and Nico began to have frequent sleepovers in his cabin. Every day or so, the two of you would cuddle in bed and watch videos and movies together.

The two of you were each other's halves. With the constant nightmares every night, it helped to feel the warmth of your partner right beside you.

One morning, Nico gently nudged you awake, "Y/N... my love, it's time to wake up..."

You groaned and flipped to the other side, "Nico... what time is it?"

"10 am."

Your eyes widened slightly, frowning at Nico with a small pout, "That's way too early... you usually wait until past 12 to get out of bed..."

Nico chuckled, wrapping his arms around your waist as he buried his face into your shoulder, "I know. But I wanted to take you to somewhere special today... are you up for a date right now?"

You immediately jumped out and got out of bed. You grinned excitedly at Nico, "Give me an hour or so, I'll be ready soon."

After a while, Nico took your hand as you stepped outside of the cabin, "You're so beautiful..."

Blushing, you were barely able to register what he just said before Nico shadow-traveled the two of you into a lovely town in Italy. The shops and buildings there were a breathtaking change of scenery compared to the camp.

Nico giddily pulled you into a small building. Inside, you could see many rows and shelves of toys and plushies. "Nico? What are we doing here?"

Nico flushed red, "Well, I had this idea... where we could find plushies that reminded us of each other. I know it's a bit cheesy, but I just wanted to-"

You interrupted his nervous stammers with one, big bear hug. You wrapped your arms around his neck and whispered, "I love you..."

Nico was now a tomato.

The two of you walked around the store, laughing and cracking jokes as you saw all the cute and silly goods.

Suddenly, you spotted an adorable black cat plushie with the most gorgeous eyes. You carefully picked it up from the shelf, then turned to show it to Nico.

But what you saw melted your heart. Nico was staring in awe at a cute couple's bracelet, each with half of a heart.

He quietly took it and added it to his shopping basket. Catching your eye, Nico cleared his throat and looked down shyly.

"Um, I found this..." He held up a star jellycat. Nico walked over to you and placed the star plushie next to your cat, "See? It's us..."

Your face dropped slightly, "But... they're not even matching. They're so different."

Nico smiled softly, planting a gentle kiss on your forehead, "I know, it's just like us. Remember how that black cat back at camp would look at the stars every night?"

"Devin?" You laughed, "He's so in love with the stars, and... oh..."

Nico smirked at your pink face, "So, are you gonna get it? The cat plushie?"

You rolled your eyes playfully before hitting Nico on the arm, "If you insist."

Literally, only a few days later, the cat plushie sat all lonely on top of Nico's dresser.

He wasn't at camp anymore- neither at Camp Half-Blood or Camp Jupiter.

Nobody knew where he went, and it enraged you how nobody seemed to care either.

You lay silently in Nico's bed, wrapped up in his blankets that you would cry yourself to sleep in every night. You were the daughter of Athena, why weren't you able to find him?

Devin meowed sadly at the dark, night sky. There were no stars out tonight.

The fates were so cruel.

Untouched and dusty, a note you refused to throw away or even touch was perched on Nico's desk.

"I love you."

A/N - to all of you demanding a happier story, my deepest apologies. It seems that I am physically incapable of creating good endings.

I was kind of hesitant to post this, since I wanted to include a scene like it in my book. So... please don't steal 🙏😭

Also, I wrote this during my exam week. Blame school for the burnout.

Lots of love, ciao <3

- FantasyDemiWitch