Competition

A/N - this one is probably one of my favorites :)

Godly Parent: Nike

- Third Person's POV -

As the daughter of Nike, you were one competitive person.

Everything you do has to be a race, you had to be the best in everything.

Could you even help yourself?

Well no, actually. Not really.

Sure, sometimes your friends would tolerate your behavior. Especially since Percy, Jason, Annabeth, and Piper liked to compete.

But at other times? They tried to persuade you to be more... gentle.

Yes. You had it that bad.

"Come on, Y/N," Leo smiled, "Loosen up a little."

At the words, "loosen up", you scowled.

You eventually tried to calm yourself down and smiled, "Okay, okay. Here's $200, Frank."

"Thanks," he accepted the Monopoly money.

You, Leo, and Frank were playing Monopoly together.

It was a very dangerous game to play with a daughter of Nike, everybody knew that.

But, somehow, with Leo's easy going and Frank's gentle personality, you managed to get through more than half of the game with no problem.

You rolled the dice, and you landed on Leo's property.

That had an ugly hotel on it.

You slammed your head onto the table, "NO!"

"Yes!" Leo laughed, "Money, money!"

"HERE!" you shoved the money to his face, "TAKE IT!"

"There, there, Y/N," Frank patted your back, "I lost before you, so you nearly won."

"Yea," you said bluntly, resting your chin on the table, "But Nike plays a fair game. So congrats, Valdez."

"Why, thank you," he said.

You excused yourself and calmly walked out of the room.

You quickly marched towards your cabin with an awkward, stiff smile on your face.

Once you got to your bunk, you slammed your face into your pillow and screamed, "HOW? WHY?"

You sat in bed as you watch your other siblings being overly dramatic about some lost they experienced.

You checked your camp schedule, it was free period.

You decided to train for your sword fighting skills because you were still lousy at it, much to your disapproval.

You picked up the sword of your choice from the arena and headed towards the row of dummies.

Apparently, there was already another camper training there.

And it was none other than Nico di Angelo.

Of course it was.

Annabeth had told Nico not to interfere too much with you and your competitive attitude, especially since Nico wasn't exactly a friendly person.

But secretly, you've always admired Nico for never backing down when he wants something. You respect and appreciate that in a person.

And, you didn't know it, but Nico loved your protective side. As a child of Nike, you too didn't back down when defending your friends.

"Hey," you said, approaching the boy, "How's training?"

"Not bad," Nico shrugged, looking at the mound of broken wood from the splintered dummies.

He looked at you and smiled, "Hey, I've never seen you in the arena before, or even holding a sword. You good at it?"

You turned red, because it was rather embarrassing for you to admit that you're not good at something.

"Not at all," you said glumly, "It stinks, really."

"Do you want me to teach you?" Nico offered, "You know, it's not everyday that you get to train with the Ghost King."

You looked worried, "I'd love to, but I could be rather... difficult."

"I don't mind," Nico said, rocking back and forth on his heels, "I could be difficult too. But that's just what makes us different."

"It's difficult being difficult," you said, "But let's give it a try."

💀🖤💀🖤💀

"This is the 27th time, gods!" you cried, picking your sword up again.

"But you're getting better though," Nico encouraged, "And you told me to not go easy on you!"

"You're so good at this!" you complained, "Like- how??"

Nico shrugged, "It took me years to get this good though," he gave you a side hug, "Take five?"

"Fine," you grumped and sat on a bench.

Nico took one of the cups filled with water in it and poured it onto his head, soaking his hair.

"You didn't drink," you noticed.

"I don't need to," Nico said, "I'm fine."

"You need your energy, though," you pushed, "Just one cup?" you offered another one.

"Fine," he said, accepting the drink.

💀🖤💀🖤💀

"You're really good, you know," you told Nico as the two of you walked towards the Dining Hall.

"And so were you," Nico smiled, "You're not mad at me for being better, are you?"

That last sentence really triggered your anger, but you still managed to smile, much to your surprise.

"Are you kidding me? I'm REALLY mad at you, Death Boy," you teased, "Gosh, I hate you."

"No, you don't," Nico kissed your cheek and ran away.

You stood there with wide eyes and blinked.

"I'm... not going to dinner after all... heh," you plastered the awkward smile on your face and quickly marched to your cabin.

You laid in bed in the quietness of your cabin. 

"He's so cool," you whispered into the air, replaying Nico's sword fighting skills, "It's not fair that I'm not as good as him. It's not-"

You sighed, smiling slightly, "But I guess... he's an exception for the competition."

You smiled as you turned over to sleep as someone in the dark yelled, "Could you keep the noise down?? I'm trying to be depressed of my loss here!"

900 words 

As a child of Nike, you can easily be angered when you lose or when you find out that someone is better than you.

And even though you may play rougher than the Ares kids, you are an extremely good sport and congratulate others for their win.

And, as odd as it sounds, Nico di Angelo caught your attention because he too doesn't back down. So your relationship with the Ghost King comes to show that the two of you are competition buddies, working together side-by-side.

That was so cute tbh, it's like that oneshot I wrote not long ago called "Exception".

And we all know that Nico is just a sweet cinnamon roll inside.

Part 2...?

-FantasyDemiWitch