🔹𝕾𝖎𝖝𝖙𝖞 𝕾𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓🔹

"Wangji, you look very pale today. Are you at all improved?" Lan Qiren asked when Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen entered his room early in the evening the next day.

"I am fine, Uncle," Lan Wangji said earnestly. "Better than fine."

"Seems like," Lan Xichen said in an amused tone, "Uncle is unaware of the rumours spreading around."

"Rumours?" Lan Qiren slapped the table hard. "Who dares to spread rumours in Cloud Recesses?"

"Uncle," Lan Xichen said again, "It's just that they cannot help it. After all, the news isn't anything simple. It's a very good yet an astonishing news."

Lan Qiren arched a brow, confused. Finally, perhaps he would be graced with the truth of what was ailing his younger nephew. He waved a graceful hand, and said,

"By all means, Xichen. Please."

Lan Wangji was supposed to take point on this reveal. He felt he owed his uncle that much, but when it came time to speak, his throat dried up. He twisted his hands in his lap and slid a nervous look at his brother. Lan Xichen covered his hands with one of his own and squeezed.

"It"s all right, Wangji," he said very low. "You deserve this happiness. He will understand, and he will help."

Lan Qiren's brows arched higher. He would have been alarmed at his younger nephew's sudden nervousness because Lan Wangji had not shown a case of nerves since he was four-years-old and standing under the fierce glare of Qingheng Jun during the ceremony where he was bestowed his first clan ribbon; but Lan Xichen had said "you deserve this happiness" so perhaps Lan Wangji was only reluctant to say anything because he would be asking for something only for himself for a change. In Lan Qiren's living memory, that had never happened, but he agreed with Lan Xichen that his brother very much deserved it, whatever "it" turned out to be.

"Wangji," he assured gently, "whatever needs be said, please do not fear any reprisal from me."

Hearing his words, Lan Wangji let out a relieved breath.

Giving his brother a final side look, Lan Wangji mustered up his courage and said in a very low voice,

"I am with child, Uncle," Lan Wangji murmured, barely lifting his eyes to meet his uncle's.

Lan Qiren blinked but made no other response.

Lan Qiren looked at him and blinked again. "Wangji, you"re sure about this?" He asked finally.

Lan Wangji lifted his head the rest of the way, brow furrowed, because his uncle was taking this abnormally well, considering. "Yes, Uncle. We have consulted a...physician," he said, "And I have felt the life within me."

Lan Qiren sat back and folded his long fingered hands in his lap. He looked at them both for a long minute, his expression absolutely neutral.

 Lan Qiren was struck silent by the news, reeling in disbelief. It was not as if he was unfamiliar with this recessive trait in his family, nor of Lan Wangji's status in particular, but his mind got caught on the idea of his nephew—unfailingly loyal, trustworthy, the best student he'd ever taught—willingly endeavoring to have a child with Wei Wuxian.

Begrudgingly, Lan Qiren admitted that he had become less wary of his nephew's husband. He knew, now, that Wei Wuxian had a noble heart, despite his mischievousness, but he was still so untethered, too carefree, too contradictory to everything the Lans stood for.

He also knew that Wei Wuxian was loyal, that he hadn't strayed from Lan Wangji's side since they'd been married. That he took their vows seriously.

That he loved his nephew with all of his heart and soul. And now, said love had apparently resulted in their having a child. Together.

"I see," he said slowly, standing up to move about the room. If he sat still, holding his energy inside of him, he might scream. "Well. You are wedded. I'm sure the council will be pleased to know that you're continuing the family line."

"I do not want my children beholden to the sect leader's seat if they do not wish to be affiliated," Lan Wangji replied, his voice steady and stern, now, despite his nervousness earlier.

Lan Xichen's head swivelled sharply, like those were the last words he'd expected his brother to say. "What?"

"Brother is the leader of the sect, technically," Lan Wangji continued, nonplussed, hands folded politely in his lap as he spoke. "Even if he were to formally step down from the position, I would want my children to live freely. Whether that meant they stay in Gusu or leave, I will make peace with their decisions, so long as they follow honorable paths."

Lan Qiren stroked his beard and stopped in place. Sometimes, his nephew said the most bewildering things.

"They will always be welcome here," Lan Qiren said gruffly.

Lan Qiren inhaled deeply, huffing out his congratulations under his breath. And then he asked, "What are you planning to do now?"

Lan Wangji looked at his uncle, confused, "I am afraid I don't understand your meaning."

"About Wei Wuxian." Lan Qiren said, "He still has not returned. We do not know if he is still alive or..." Lan Qiren was cut off short by his nephew.

"Wei Ying is alive." Lan Wangji said through clenched teeth, trying to keep in his tears and emotions.

Lan Xichen was stunned by his younger brother's confidence and asked, "How are you so sure?"

"Because..." A tear slid down Lan Wangji's face, "Because my heart is still beating."

More tears followed and before could say anything, Lan Wangji left the room, hurriedly, wiping away his tears and sobbing silently.

"Wangji!" Both Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren called behind him but Lan Wangji was far too gone. Bidding his excuse, Lan Xichen too ran after his little brother.

Lan Qiren sighed. He knew how hard it must be for Lan Wangji without Wei Wuxian during such a time.

As much as Lan Qiren had wished that Wei Wuxian would be out of Cloud Recesses for good during the lectures, now, he just wanted Wei Wuxian to return to Lan Wangji.

To keep his younger nephew happy and contented.

To shower his nephew with love and affection.

To bring back the smile on Lan Wangji!